Help with video studder in benchmarks/video....

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I hope this is the correct place to post this, if not would a mod please move it?

Ok I've got 2 systems that are in about the same class one with Intel/ATI components and the other with AMD/nVidia components. The nVidia system works perfectly. The ATI system works good except for a very noticeable and obvious studder in the video when anything new is loaded. I would assume that this is normal except that the nVidia system is perfectly smooth. Both systems have Raptor 10,000 rpm drives and both have 1GB of ram. The nVidia system has an AMD 64 (Winchester) 3200+ paired with a very nice 7800 GT. The ATI system is being run by a P4E at 3GHz paired with a x800-xl AIW. As you would expect the nVidia system does bench higher but not really by that much. The ATI system really benches quite well but about 3-5 seconds into each test the numbers take a dive for just a half a second and the video has a noticable studder. Running 3Dmark 2001 the frame rates are up in the 200-400 range so the video cards are not being stressed at all yet on the ATI system the frame rate take takes a dive near the start of each test, including the simple ones twards the end of the benchmark (like the floating twisted turd and the seated alien). The frame rate starts out nice and fast, but after a few seconds they slow down enough to cause a visible (and anoying) studder. The studder only lasts for at most a second and then the system goes back to cranking out a nice frame rate.

Any ideas?

If you need I can post the exact system specs but I don't have em handy right now.

TIA for any help.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Update, it is fixed, sorta.

After doing about a thousand little tweeks to the bios and settings we got brave and cut off all startup programs. The benchmarks rank perfectly smooth with no jitters or studders. Funny thing was the benchmark score was lowered from 19,200 to 18,800. Also at this point you have no access to the control panel with all the startup stuff off. We went back in and turned on only the ati items and recieved the best results so far on the benchmark at 19,600 but the studder was back. One of three different ATI programs is causing the studder. I find this all very strange. The slowest benchmark run looked the best. What the heck?