Subnetting Question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

My network is presently configured to use the 192.168 private ip address
range with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. This basically allows a maximum
of 254 host addresss's. I can foresee that within a few years I may exceed
that amount of host address's and will probably need around 350
ip address's for hosts so my question is this:

Should I reconfigure the subnet mask, dhcp scopes, etc. in the private ip
address range of 192.168 to allow for around that amount of address's and
therefore leave my options open should I need to have a routed network or is
it really a non issue since there are other private ip address ranges that
could be used? I am running a switched network for all nodes so that traffic
is a not an issue. Presently support about 125 devices. All opinions
welcome.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

In article <Oj1qDhbZEHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
Kevin Longley <kwlongley@cirtronics.com> wrote:
>My network is presently configured to use the 192.168 private ip address
>range with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. This basically allows a maximum
>of 254 host addresss's. I can foresee that within a few years I may exceed
>that amount of host address's and will probably need around 350
>ip address's for hosts so my question is this:
>
>Should I reconfigure the subnet mask, dhcp scopes, etc. in the private ip
>address range of 192.168 to allow for around that amount of address's and
>therefore leave my options open should I need to have a routed network or is
>it really a non issue since there are other private ip address ranges that
>could be used? I am running a switched network for all nodes so that traffic
>is a not an issue. Presently support about 125 devices. All opinions
>welcome.

Expanding your /24 subnet to a /23 or bigger would be the simplest
thing to do. The real question is how will the additional hosts fit
into your existing network.

Will they need to be part of the same broadcast domain? Are they
going to be for a new department or group that you want isolated from
your current network?

--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com