unable to ping hostname

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I have an NT4.0 server SP6a. DNS is configured on this box. I had no problem
in the past pinging a hostname on this server but recently when I do "ping
server1" I get the following message: "Invalid IP address server1". BTW,
Server1 is already defined in DNS & I can do the same ping in other boxes.
Moreover, pinging an IP address still works on this server.

Thanks

James

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hi James,

Thanks for your posting here.

I would like to confirm the following information with you.

1. Please try the command of "ping -a <ip address of server1>". What is the
result?

2. Did you have WINS server set on this server? If so, please check the
record of server1 on the WINS server.

3. Please check if there is any item related to server1 in the LMhosts
file. The Lmhosts file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc
folder. You can refer to the following article for more information.

The Lmhosts File for TCP/IP in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=101927

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support