Netbios vs other types of broadcasts

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I am not an expert on TCP/IP but understand the working basics of firewalls,
TCP, UDP, ports, broadcasts, etc. I want to know what is different about
Netbios broadcasts versus any other kind of broadcast that uses UDP.

The reason I ask this question is that I recently obtained several Netgear
endpoint VPN routers.They take any two LAN's that are on a differnet subnet
and glue them together over the internet to appear as a single LAN (ie:
192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0). Within the VPN tunnel menu of each Netgear is
a checkbox labelled "enable NETBIOS broadcasts". I called Netgear to ask
them if all broadcasts travel across the VPN or just NETBIOS. They said that
all broadcasts with a destination of the other subnet automatically travel
across the VPN. So I then asked "why bother with a checkbox to enable
NETBIOS broadcasts is they will travel the VPN by default". The response was
"NETBIOS is a completely different suite of whatever, and must be handled
differently".

My real purpose is to have CUPS broadcasts travel across the VPN so that I
can do Linux printing between the two LAN's as joined together securely over
the internet. CUPS broadcasts printer availability on UDP port 631.

So my question is: What makes NETBIOS broadcasts different from CUPS
broadcasts, or any other types of broadcasts for that matter? Can someone
give me a practical example of what the broadcast addresses would look like?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Edelbrok

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Most likely these broadcasts use different ports than Netbios. Netbios uses
135-139, some are tcp and some are udp.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Tom Edelbrok" <anonymous@anonymous.com> wrote in message
> I am not an expert on TCP/IP but understand the working basics of
firewalls,
> TCP, UDP, ports, broadcasts, etc. I want to know what is different about
> Netbios broadcasts versus any other kind of broadcast that uses UDP.
>
> The reason I ask this question is that I recently obtained several Netgear
> endpoint VPN routers.They take any two LAN's that are on a differnet
subnet
> and glue them together over the internet to appear as a single LAN (ie:
> 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0). Within the VPN tunnel menu of each Netgear
is
> a checkbox labelled "enable NETBIOS broadcasts". I called Netgear to ask
> them if all broadcasts travel across the VPN or just NETBIOS. They said
that
> all broadcasts with a destination of the other subnet automatically travel
> across the VPN. So I then asked "why bother with a checkbox to enable
> NETBIOS broadcasts is they will travel the VPN by default". The response
was
> "NETBIOS is a completely different suite of whatever, and must be handled
> differently".
>
> My real purpose is to have CUPS broadcasts travel across the VPN so that I
> can do Linux printing between the two LAN's as joined together securely
over
> the internet. CUPS broadcasts printer availability on UDP port 631.
>
> So my question is: What makes NETBIOS broadcasts different from CUPS
> broadcasts, or any other types of broadcasts for that matter? Can someone
> give me a practical example of what the broadcast addresses would look
like?

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom Edelbrok

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your posting here.

As I know, netbios use the following ports:

Port 137 - name resolution

Port 138 - messaging

Port 139 - client sessions

If you want your router to forward b-node broadcasts, you must enable UDP
ports 137 and 138.

150881 Local NetBIOS Name Query Broadcast Not Forwarded by Router
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=150881

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin