new desktop completely built, BIOS problem

anduril

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2001
In my BIOS, under main > IDE config > onboard IDE operate mode: you can choose either compatible or enhanced. If I choose compatible, I can boot into windows 98, but it doesn't recognize any optical drives and keeps searching for the floppy drive which isn't even installed, so I can't upgrade to windows XP. If I choose enhanced, it won't even recognize the Hard drive and I can't even boot into windows. I'm positive the CD drive is connected properly and the power to it is fine and it'll open and close fine. Any idea why this would happen and how to fix it? Thanks.

anduril

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2001
problem, it doesn't recognize the optical drive otherwise it would've been done already. It only recognizes drive C and A.

linux_0

Splendid
Make sure the CDROM data cable is securely plugged in and is not plugged in backwards (the ribbon cable should be keyed so you cannot plug it in backwards but you never know).

Try another cable if have one.

Write down your HDD settings and try the IDE disk autodetection if your BIOS has that feature.

Check to make sure both IDE channels on your motherboard are enabled.

Move your HDD from the primary channel to the secondary channel and see if the BIOS is able to detect it, if it can then the secondary interface works. If it cannot then your motherboard might be broken.