WPA in Ad Hoc

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 5, 2005 11:50:03 AM

hi friends, can I use WPA in a Ad Hoc network? how can I configure it?

do you know a "best practice" site where can I find it?

thanks

More about : wpa hoc

September 5, 2005 9:29:28 PM

Yes, it's called WPA-None in the windows wireless zero config.
Though IMHO you shouldn't use it and think you are more secure than WEP.
When using WEP the key you type in is used to encrypt/decrypt the data and
that is also the case with WPA-None.
(compared to WPA-PSK /WPA-Enterprise where you (the network adapter) will
get the key that is used to encrypt/decrypt from the access point, the PSK
is only used to prove to the AP that you know the password that the AP is
set to use, and vice versa)

/Niklas

"Hernan Batista" <HernanBatista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi friends, can I use WPA in a Ad Hoc network? how can I configure it?
>
> do you know a "best practice" site where can I find it?
>
> thanks
September 5, 2005 9:35:17 PM

It however seems as if Microsoft have removed WPA-None when they added
support for WPA2.

!