Some clients cannot reach NT4 DHCP server, but reach the PDC

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I volunteer as an admin at my kids school. We have a network of about 50
PC's all running XP Pro, all up to date, and a server running NT 4. The NT4
is a PDC, running the DHCP server and MS Proxy Server. All of the XP PC's
are set to obtain IP address automatically.

Everything has been working fine for a few years - until about last week.
Now some PC's can no longer obtain an IP address from the DHCP server -
instead they get a 169.*.*.* address. But there are other PC's that *can*
sucessfully obtain an IP address from the DHCP server.

The PC's that cannot get an IP address from DHCP do seem to be able to get
to the server however - I can log into those PC's and it will validate the
password and run the user's login script off the server.

I thought perhaps it was a network cable or hub, but it doesn't seem to be
the cause since they can get to the server to validate their login/password,
and the PC's can see the shares of other PC's that have also been assigned
the 169.*.*.* addresses.

I also tried assigning one of the PC's an IP address in the same subnet as
the server, but I was still not able to ping the server after doing that! I
can't figure out why it can access the server over the network to validate
the login and run the login script, but then cannot ping the server with the
assigned IP address. It doesn't make any sense!
5 answers Last reply
More about some clients reach dhcp server reach
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

    "JJ" <jjjj@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > .... We have a network of about 50
    > PC's all running XP Pro, all up to date, and a server running NT 4. The
    NT4
    > is a PDC, running the DHCP server and MS Proxy Server. All of the XP PC's
    > are set to obtain IP address automatically.
    >
    > Everything has been working fine for a few years - until about last week.
    > Now some PC's can no longer obtain an IP address from the DHCP server -
    > instead they get a 169.*.*.* address. But there are other PC's that *can*
    > sucessfully obtain an IP address from the DHCP server.

    What does the DHCP server have to say about what's happening? Stats, errors
    logged, etc?

    > The PC's that cannot get an IP address from DHCP do seem to be able to get
    > to the server however - I can log into those PC's and it will validate the
    > password and run the user's login script off the server.

    2 questions:

    - Are there any protocols other than TCP/IP running on the network? (eg
    NetBEUI, IPX/SPX?)

    - Are you sure the workstations aren't logging on using cached credentials?
    (Check the workstation System logs.)

    > .... I also tried assigning one of the PC's an IP address in the same
    subnet
    > as the server, but I was still not able to ping the server after doing
    that!
    > I can't figure out why it can access the server over the network to
    validate
    > the login and run the login script, but then cannot ping the server with
    > the assigned IP address. It doesn't make any sense!

    I can't see how that can happen either, unless you accidentally assigned an
    address already allocated (by DHCP) to another host.

    --
    David Brownridge
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

    > What does the DHCP server have to say about what's happening? Stats,
    errors
    > logged, etc?

    It doesn't show any errors in the event viewer.

    > - Are there any protocols other than TCP/IP running on the network? (eg
    > NetBEUI, IPX/SPX?)

    No IPX/SPX. NetBEUI is possible.

    > - Are you sure the workstations aren't logging on using cached
    credentials?
    > (Check the workstation System logs.)

    That's possibly why it looks like it is validating my password. I didn't
    know it cached that. If it is checking it against cache, then I suppose it
    could be possible that a hub is bad after all.

    > I can't see how that can happen either, unless you accidentally assigned
    an
    > address already allocated (by DHCP) to another host.

    I don't think the address I used was in use, but if a hub is bad (or cable
    to a hub), that might explain it.

    "David Brownridge" <DVD@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message
    > "JJ" <jjjj@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > .... We have a network of about 50
    > > PC's all running XP Pro, all up to date, and a server running NT 4. The
    > NT4
    > > is a PDC, running the DHCP server and MS Proxy Server. All of the XP
    PC's
    > > are set to obtain IP address automatically.
    > >
    > > Everything has been working fine for a few years - until about last
    week.
    > > Now some PC's can no longer obtain an IP address from the DHCP server -
    > > instead they get a 169.*.*.* address. But there are other PC's that
    *can*
    > > sucessfully obtain an IP address from the DHCP server.
    >
    > What does the DHCP server have to say about what's happening? Stats,
    errors
    > logged, etc?
    >

    > > The PC's that cannot get an IP address from DHCP do seem to be able to
    get
    > > to the server however - I can log into those PC's and it will validate
    the
    > > password and run the user's login script off the server.
    >
    > 2 questions:
    >
    > - Are there any protocols other than TCP/IP running on the network? (eg
    > NetBEUI, IPX/SPX?)
    >
    > - Are you sure the workstations aren't logging on using cached
    credentials?
    > (Check the workstation System logs.)
    >

    > > .... I also tried assigning one of the PC's an IP address in the same
    > subnet
    > > as the server, but I was still not able to ping the server after doing
    > that!
    > > I can't figure out why it can access the server over the network to
    > validate
    > > the login and run the login script, but then cannot ping the server with
    > > the assigned IP address. It doesn't make any sense!
    >
    > I can't see how that can happen either, unless you accidentally assigned
    an
    > address already allocated (by DHCP) to another host.
    >
    > --
    > David Brownridge

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

    Try logging on with an account that's never logged onto that PC or
    change the password on your domain account, then try logging on to one
    of the problem systems, using the new password. Both of will fail, if
    the problem system is unable to contact a domain controller and is using
    cached credentials to authenticate logons.

    NT used to pop up a message when it used cached credentials to
    authenticate a logon. For some reason MS changed that in W2k and,
    apparently, in XP. In W2k, there is a registry poke you can use to turn
    the message back on (search MS's site for ReportControllerMissing).
    However, I find no mention of this poke working in XP.

    --
    Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
    the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).

    begin 644 CachedCredentials.reg.txt
    M5VEN9&]W<R!296=I<W1R>2!%9&ET;W(@5F5R<VEO;B`U+C`P#0H-"EM(2T59
    M7TQ/0T%,7TU!0TA)3D5<4T]&5%=!4D5<36EC<F]S;V9T7%=I;F1O=W,@3E1<
    M0W5R<F5N=%9E<G-I;VY<5VEN;&]G;VY=#0HB4F5P;W)T0V]N=')O;&QE<DUI
    M<W-I;F<B/2)44E5%(@T*#0I;2$M%65]#55)214Y47U5315)<4V]F='=A<F5<
    M36EC<F]S;V9T7%=I;F1O=W,@3E1<0W5R<F5N=%9E<G-I;VY<5VEN;&]G;VY=
    ;#0HB4F5P;W)T1$,B/61W;W)D.C`P,#`P,#`Q
    `
    end
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

    John R Buchan wrote:
> [...]
    >>>
    >>>2 questions:
    >>>
    >>>- Are there any protocols other than TCP/IP running on the network? (eg
    >>>NetBEUI, IPX/SPX?)
    >>>
    >>>- Are you sure the workstations aren't logging on using cached
    >>
    >>credentials?
    >>
    >>>(Check the workstation System logs.)

    >>>subnet

    >>>that!

    >>>validate

    >>>I can't see how that can happen either, unless you accidentally assigned
    >>
    >>an
    >>
    >>>address already allocated (by DHCP) to another host.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>David Brownridge
    >>>

    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    > "ReportControllerMissing"="TRUE"
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    i have the same problem with computers that are connected as single
    units the dchp assign that 169.254.... the only thng i found that works
    is to reformat and start over.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

    John R Buchan wrote:

> [...]
    >>>
    >>>2 questions:
    >>>
    >>>- Are there any protocols other than TCP/IP running on the network? (eg
    >>>NetBEUI, IPX/SPX?)
    >>>
    >>>- Are you sure the workstations aren't logging on using cached
    >>
    >>credentials?
    >>
    >>>(Check the workstation System logs.)

    >>>subnet

    >>>that!

    >>>validate

    >>>I can't see how that can happen either, unless you accidentally assigned
    >>
    >>an
    >>
    >>>address already allocated (by DHCP) to another host.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>David Brownridge
    >>>

    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    > "ReportControllerMissing"="TRUE"
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    the dchp is assign automatic or acp protocol by the dchp

DHCP Servers IP Address Windows