Maximum HDD size question

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Hello THG been visiting your site for a while and desided to visit your forums to ask you a question!

here goes.......

Im gonna update an old computer with a Duron 1100+ AMD prosessor (i dont know what the M/B is) and i was wondering what the maximum hard drive size it can take !

Thankyou

evilman

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
That would probably depend on your operating system.
Since you have a Duron, I would say that your controller can support large drives.

XP has support for IDE drives up to 128 gb.
XP SP1 & SP2 has support for IDE drives larger than 128 gb (The limit I don't know, but you will probably be able to install 500 gig hd's).
2000 SP3 supports 128+ gig HDs.

Also, the answer also depends on which controllers you have installed on your system. If for instance you bought a SATA card, you will be able to install very large SATA drives.
Unfortunaly, I am not aware of the size limitations of SATA.

FACEBASH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Hello:] .. Given that your planning to install this into an older computer i woudl reccomend you crack the case and look around for a model number and brand name..

The reason i say this is that your computer might be incompatible with Drives overr 120 Gigs In its current state.. .. Once you identify the Motherboard you can tehn be sure of its capabilities.
in most cases a Bios update will leave your MB in a state that makes it compatible with Any IDE you throw at it. i wouldnt reccomend a Sata Card considering the money is almost as much as you would pay for a decent "newer" Socket A motherboard..

If your still using old stuff im guessing your old drive is uber small so really anything 80 to 120 gigs.. should do for you jsut fine..

Hope this helps a bit.. Cheers..

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
thanks guys i thought it could take a 120gb hhd cos a friend of mine has a old dell 733mhz which has a 120gb hdd in it so yeah

btw i will get m/b brand when the comp gets over here for u see im selling it to a mate but it aint mine a friends perants own it so when they get some docs of it they will bring it over here and i can fix it and i will be installing xp SP2 on it so yeah!

oh yeah and another Question:

if its a duron mother board so to speak will it need chipset drivers for xp sp2 ?
and the gfx card is a GF4 MX 440 agp 4x

thanks for the quick reply