IP address change

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

we have windows 4.5 SBS, hosting our own email and web,
ISP changed our IP address and gateway, i have change it
in server and we can access the internet, but we have no
email, how do I fix it

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I know may be contrary to security procedures, but you're probably going
to need to provide some detail.

A description of your physical setup: Is the SBS connected directly to
the Internet or behind a firewall?

What were the settings? IP, mask, gateway.
What are the new settings?

What type of connectivity tests have you run? Ping by IP? By name? ,
etc.

What were the results (error messages)?

--
Note, I seldom respond to email questions. Please keep discussions in
the news group, so everyone can benefit from them (including me <g>).

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Verify ip connectivity to the mail server, either via ping or telnet.
If you can't connect to the mail server - you will net get mail.

Louise Bowman
MSFT

"epp" <k_eppler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> we have windows 4.5 SBS, hosting our own email and web,
> ISP changed our IP address and gateway, i have change it
> in server and we can access the internet, but we have no
> email, how do I fix it

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hi Louise,

> Verify ip connectivity to the mail server, either via ping or telnet.
> If you can't connect to the mail server - you will net get mail.

Testing the connectivity by telnet to a public mail server is unusual.
Generally, the port 23 is closed.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

In article <4155567b$0$766$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
Michelot <NoSpam@NoSpam.fr> wrote:
>> Verify ip connectivity to the mail server, either via ping or telnet.
>> If you can't connect to the mail server - you will net get mail.
>
>Testing the connectivity by telnet to a public mail server is unusual.
>Generally, the port 23 is closed.

Sure but telneting to port 25 is a standard way of checking out SMTP
problems.

--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

silly question but have you updated your mx record in the dns to point to
your new host name or ip address?