VPN Across Continents

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I am in the US and will be moving to India soon. I plan to connect to my
office network using VPN from there. I have a 1.28 Mbps SDSL connection in
the office. I will have a cable internet connection in India. We have Win2K
server in the office.

Currently, my laptop at home (5 miles from my office in the US) has Win2K
and I am able to connect to my office network using VPN.

Q1. I guess, on the internet, actual physical distance does not matter in
terms of configuration - is that right? I should be able to vpn to my office
network from anywhere in the world as long as I have connectivity to the
internet - Is that right?

Q2. Anyone has ideas (experience) as to what connection speeds/delays I can
expect?

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Don't worry. What you are trying to achieve is being used by many companies
around the world.
You might expect delays sometimes but in regular they're not that
significant.
It should be just fine.
I can say from my own expirience that connection to SQL server situated in
Thailand from PC in New Zealand is as 5 times as slower then connection to
SQL Server in intranet, however it is not necessarely slower then connection
to other SQL server situated in New Zealand.
So don't worry. The solution you are describing is good enough for regular
work.

Good luck!
Gnum

"Mickee" <Mickee2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am in the US and will be moving to India soon. I plan to connect to my
> office network using VPN from there. I have a 1.28 Mbps SDSL connection in
> the office. I will have a cable internet connection in India. We have
Win2K
> server in the office.
>
> Currently, my laptop at home (5 miles from my office in the US) has Win2K
> and I am able to connect to my office network using VPN.
>
> Q1. I guess, on the internet, actual physical distance does not matter in
> terms of configuration - is that right? I should be able to vpn to my
office
> network from anywhere in the world as long as I have connectivity to the
> internet - Is that right?
>
> Q2. Anyone has ideas (experience) as to what connection speeds/delays I
can
> expect?
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Thanks for the reply.