Connection Problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 5, 2005 1:29:01 PM

Dear All,

I have a laptop with a built wireless antenna for connection to 802.11b
networks made by LAN-Express IEEE 802.11 that has suddenly stopped
functioning. I have used this for over 2 years prior to this without any
problems until now. When checking the hardware using the Device Manager, the
hardware is reported as "working properly" but I'm not able to connect to the
router.
I have repaired the connection several times, uninstalled and reinstalled
the hardware and tried to roll back the driver but I'm still unable to get a
connection.
The router itself is functioning correctly.
My operating system is Windows XP SP2.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : connection problem

September 5, 2005 8:44:02 PM

"Canu" <Canu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> I have a laptop with a built wireless antenna for connection to 802.11b
> networks made by LAN-Express IEEE 802.11 that has suddenly stopped
> functioning. I have used this for over 2 years prior to this without any
> problems until now. When checking the hardware using the Device Manager,
> the
> hardware is reported as "working properly" but I'm not able to connect to
> the
> router.
> I have repaired the connection several times, uninstalled and reinstalled
> the hardware and tried to roll back the driver but I'm still unable to get
> connection.
> The router itself is functioning correctly.
> My operating system is Windows XP SP2.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

first, how do you know the router is functioning properly?? do you have
another system that is using it that works??

second, the device manager can't tell you if the rf part of the card is
working. it could be perfectly happy with the card function but it may not
be transmitting or receiving at all. try another card.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 5, 2005 8:44:03 PM

Dave,

Thank you for your message.

I know that the router is functioning correctly because another system is
using it.

When you say that the Device Manager may be happy with card function, what
do you mean?

Any further assistance would be appreciated.

"Dave" wrote:

> "Canu" <Canu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have a laptop with a built wireless antenna for connection to 802.11b
> > networks made by LAN-Express IEEE 802.11 that has suddenly stopped
> > functioning. I have used this for over 2 years prior to this without any
> > problems until now. When checking the hardware using the Device Manager,
> > the
> > hardware is reported as "working properly" but I'm not able to connect to
> > the
> > router.
> > I have repaired the connection several times, uninstalled and reinstalled
> > the hardware and tried to roll back the driver but I'm still unable to get
> > connection.
> > The router itself is functioning correctly.
> > My operating system is Windows XP SP2.
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.
>
> first, how do you know the router is functioning properly?? do you have
> another system that is using it that works??
>
> second, the device manager can't tell you if the rf part of the card is
> working. it could be perfectly happy with the card function but it may not
> be transmitting or receiving at all. try another card.

a b F Wireless
September 5, 2005 8:44:04 PM

A simple test you might do, if you have a second wireless PC, is set both PCs
to ad-hoc and test if the working PC sees the wireless of the problem PC.
Probably not. A possibility is that the connection from the card to the
antenna is faulty.
--
Greenstead

"Canu" wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Thank you for your message.
>
> I know that the router is functioning correctly because another system is
> using it.
>
> When you say that the Device Manager may be happy with card function, what
> do you mean?
>
> Any further assistance would be appreciated.
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>

> > "Canu" <Canu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > I have a laptop with a built wireless antenna for connection to 802.11b
> > > networks made by LAN-Express IEEE 802.11 that has suddenly stopped
> > > functioning. I have used this for over 2 years prior to this without any
> > > problems until now. When checking the hardware using the Device Manager,
> > > the
> > > hardware is reported as "working properly" but I'm not able to connect to
> > > the
> > > router.
> > > I have repaired the connection several times, uninstalled and reinstalled
> > > the hardware and tried to roll back the driver but I'm still unable to get
> > > connection.
> > > The router itself is functioning correctly.
> > > My operating system is Windows XP SP2.
> > >
> > > If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.
> >
> > first, how do you know the router is functioning properly?? do you have
> > another system that is using it that works??
> >
> > second, the device manager can't tell you if the rf part of the card is
> > working. it could be perfectly happy with the card function but it may not
> > be transmitting or receiving at all. try another card.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 5, 2005 10:34:11 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I've tried the test that you suggest and wasn't able to see the laptop with
maybe faulty antenna.

I've noticed another couple of things that might give a better idea of what
the problem may be:

1/ I've added a PCMIA card for Wi Fi access and I was able to obtain a
signal and connection without any problem
2/ I tried to repair the connection of the internal card and noted that I
received an error message stating that "Windows could not finish repairing
the problem because the following action could not be completed: Disabling
the network adaptor. Make sure your network adaptor is properly installed".

I guess one of the things that I'm trying to ascertain is whether this is
software or hardware issue.

Any further help would be great.

Thanks

"Greenstead" wrote:

> A simple test you might do, if you have a second wireless PC, is set both PCs
> to ad-hoc and test if the working PC sees the wireless of the problem PC.
> Probably not. A possibility is that the connection from the card to the
> antenna is faulty.
> --
> Greenstead
>

> "Canu" wrote:
>
> > Dave,
> >
> > Thank you for your message.
> >
> > I know that the router is functioning correctly because another system is
> > using it.
> >
> > When you say that the Device Manager may be happy with card function, what
> > do you mean?
> >
> > Any further assistance would be appreciated.
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> >

> > > "Canu" <Canu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > first, how do you know the router is functioning properly?? do you have
> > > another system that is using it that works??
> > >
> > > second, the device manager can't tell you if the rf part of the card is
> > > working. it could be perfectly happy with the card function but it may not
> > > be transmitting or receiving at all. try another card.

September 6, 2005 1:40:20 AM

i mean the device manager will report the card is 'working properly' because
it can not test the radio part of the card, only the logic that drives it.

"Canu" <Canu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 3F00BA1-5C43-456E-911A-8736BB061079@microsoft.com...
> Dave,
>
> Thank you for your message.
>
> I know that the router is functioning correctly because another system is
> using it.
>
> When you say that the Device Manager may be happy with card function, what
> do you mean?
>
> Any further assistance would be appreciated.
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>

>> "Canu" <Canu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear All,
>> >
>> > I have a laptop with a built wireless antenna for connection to 802.11b
>> > networks made by LAN-Express IEEE 802.11 that has suddenly stopped
>> > functioning. I have used this for over 2 years prior to this without
>> > any
>> > problems until now. When checking the hardware using the Device
>> > Manager,
>> > the
>> > hardware is reported as "working properly" but I'm not able to connect
>> > the
>> > router.
>> > I have repaired the connection several times, uninstalled and
>> > reinstalled
>> > the hardware and tried to roll back the driver but I'm still unable to
>> > get
>> > connection.
>> > The router itself is functioning correctly.
>> > My operating system is Windows XP SP2.
>> >
>> > If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.
>>
>> first, how do you know the router is functioning properly?? do you have
>> another system that is using it that works??
>>
>> second, the device manager can't tell you if the rf part of the card is
>> working. it could be perfectly happy with the card function but it may
>> not
>> be transmitting or receiving at all. try another card.

September 6, 2005 9:48:01 PM

I have had your same problem which I have traced back to the event of
Automatic Updates installing Software Distribution Service on Aug 30. This
is a weird problem. I am on a university campus that provides
mac-address-registrered wireless access in the library. I also have free
wireless access in my apartment (non-university). Before the update I was
able to use both wireless services. After the update I was able to use
neither. Since I rolled the system back to the aforementioned spot (Aug 30-
before Software Distribution Service) using the System Restore Utility I have
regained my connection ability at the library. I am still receiving no
packets at home. I have a superficial knowledge of packets which is that if
you are sending them and not receiving them you are no better off for it. If
you find a solution please post it!

!