z4xor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I have been unable to get SLI working on my computer. I am hoping that someone, or some people, here at these forums will know how to solve some of the problems I have been encountering.

First of all, my problem at this moment:

When I uninstalled the NVidia drivers, then updated to 82.12 drivers that came out yesterday, a popup bubble opened saying "click here to enable SLI" then I was brought to a pop up window saying:

"Your graphics card features NVIDIA Scalable Link Interface (SLI) technology.

Before you can enable SLI, all graphics cards must be installed in PCI Express slots with a bandwidth of x4 or greater".

I have checked the SLI mutli-GPU tab in the display properties-> advanced properties-> GeForce 6600GT tab, and the same message is there as well.

If you need any information about my computer I will respond with that, but does anyone know how to fix this problem offhand? Or is it a hardware issue?

linux_0

Splendid
Please state your name rank and serial number.

Just kidding.

Can we please have the model numbers and revisions of your motherboard and VGA cards?

Also do you have an SLI bridge joining the 2 cards together?

Are they identical?

happy holidayz

z4xor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Motherboard
ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe
BIOS 0905

Video Card 1
ASUS EN6600GT/TOP/TD/128MB

Video Card 2
ASUS EN6600GT/TD/128MB

The cards are not entirely identical, one is desigated as a TOP card, (Top Overclocking Performance), but they have the same cores, 6600GT, and same memory/clock frequencies, etc.

The SLI bridge is connected correctly, I have tried both ways of placement with it, if that matters at all (the manual in my motherboard actually shows the 2 different ways in the same guide, which is confusing :p)

Also, for some additional information, when I check my 6600GT Advanced tab, it says my bus speed is only x2, where it should be x16 for a single card and x8 for SLI'd cards? right?

z4xor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Yes, they both work fine, but they are labeled as having a x2 bus speed, is there any way to check to make sure that this is a misprint/error?

I think they should each have x16 when used individually, right?

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Have you set the little card between the PCI-E slots to 'dual card'?

The A8N Deluxe switches between 1x+16x and 8x+8x by a little flip card thing between the slots.

Also, make sure you have connected the molex connector into the socket above the top card.

Edit: Sorry its one of the nForce4 intel edition boards right? never tried them so dont know :/

z4xor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Yes that sli card is set to "DUAL CARDS"

I have read that is what the card does, and I am familiar with that, but my bus speeds are still x2.

14hy2.jpg

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Hm, as I say I havent used the Intel Edition version of these boards, but the last A8N-Deluxe I set up took me hours to sort out, eventually it turned out that the little flip card was really sensitive and needed to be reseated, hence why I suggested it.

Other than that not 100% sure what it could be.

Its a long shot but I'd probably try flashing the faster one with the BIOS of the slower one just in case, I know nVidia supports different BIOS versions as of the 80-series but I've found things stabler with the same version.

Keep a backup of the BIOS you are replacing and just reflash it if it fails.

enGRAVEr

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
That is the exact MB I am using. I am sure you have checked this already, but check BIOS. Have you tried OC'ing the board? Reset everything in there to basics and reboot. I had some issues when I first started to mess with the OC. But now everything is running great. Out of curiousity, what CPU do you have in it? ( I know it will not affect the problem, just curious). !!! Nevermind about the CPU, just expanded the pic. Sorry.) !!!

z4xor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
did you get anything like this error though? I have everything set to the defaults already..

can you tell me these things really quick?
BIOS version?
Forceware version(gpu driver version)?

I want to see what you are able to use...

z4xor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Video Bios is 5.40.02.28
Forceware 81.85

I will get the Sys bios in a minute.

BIOS is 06/05

haha, I googled the 5.40.02.28 bios, and then realized that they were for 6800's :p.

Also, when I reflashed to 0605 is the default bios, right? When I flashed to them I couldn't get my computer to get to my desktop, it blue screened and all that kinda sad stuff.... :(

enGRAVEr

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
Sorry, I did not even think to mention my cards were 68's. I was just answering your questions. Have you tried removing one card, starting it up succesfully, and checking to see what the bus speed is? If that makes a difference, remove that one and try with the other one by itself. If both come out with 16x then go from there.

z4xor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Sorry, I did not even think to mention my cards were 68's. I was just answering your questions. Have you tried removing one card, starting it up succesfully, and checking to see what the bus speed is? If that makes a difference, remove that one and try with the other one by itself. If both come out with 16x then go from there.

as soon as I noticed the bus speed as x2 I tried this out asap, and still had x2. I wish I had taken notice of this before I started fooling around with my video cards :( but yeah, that dosnt seem to give me any results...

enGRAVEr

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
Alright then, I had some problems messing around with mine when I was trying to get the ram set up for higher speeds, but bios was being a pain. I called tech support and they stayed on the phone with me until the issue was completely fixed. This includes running a few tests for system stress on the ram. I can not think of anything else other than something inside bios set wrong. NOT accusing you, just can not think of anything else. Asus has really good tech support so give them a try. I was extremely impressed with them staying on the phone for what must have been 30-40 minutes. As I am sure you have noticed, getting the clock speeds up to 667 & higher can be a pain. Lots of settings in there.

z4xor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
If I cannot find out how to fix this soon, I will give them a call. I don't wanna be calling them on Christmas though :p

linux_0

Splendid
Here's an idea!

Download and burn one of these ISOs:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

700MB CD

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V4.0DVD-2005-08-16-EN.iso

3.1GB DVD

Boot from one of them see if KDE works and check all your settings in Linux and see what you get!

I have used Knoppix and other Linux distributions to troubleshoot hardware and software problems for many years and I have been able to rescue badly damaged windows and other OS installs with Knoppix / Linux.

The Knoppix CD and DVD also includes memtest86 which is an awesome troubleshooting tool, when I build a machine I usually memtest86 it for at least a few hours to a few days to burn it in, etc.

Memtest86 primarily tests your RAM but it does put a load on your CPU and motherboard as well. A lot of strange crashes etc in windows and other operating systems are often caused by bad or flaky RAM, or unstable motherboard. I do not believe this is the case here but maybe your should consider running memtest86 before you go to bed and check it when you wake up.

You can get a very small (about 3MB) memtest86 bootable ISO CDROM image here:

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.gz

or here

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

This is 3MB vs. 700MB and 3.1GB for knoppix and will only test your RAM and the general health of your PC.

Knoppix can do a lot more troubleshooting because it is a Live Linux OS on CD or DVD.

If you decide to try Knoppix I can give you some commands to run. I am not 100% sure the Linux nVidia driver supports SLI yet but if it does I am sure you can test your SLI setup under Linux using the nVidia Linux driver and see if SLI is working correctly.

I will check and let you know.