DHCP relay testing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hello!

Our private network consists of multiple subnets, separated (or
connected if you like) with routers - WAN (subnet mask:255.255.255.0).
I have a DHCP service running on a win2003 server on a (central)
subnet - LAN (subnet mask:255.255.0.0).
An outsourcer will enable the DHCP relay on routers, but wants me to
test, whether the DHCP server would assign the IPs properly to each
subnet.

I've already created scopes for each subnet on the DHCP server. Each
subnet has its own gateway, but the same DNS servers and domain name.

scope1: x.y.6.50 - x.y.6.150
gateway1: x.y.6.1

scope2: x.y.7.50 - x.y.7.150
gateway2: x.y.7.1

etc.

Will the DHCP server do its job and assign IPs to subnets properly
when DHCP relay is enabled? The only thing that separates
characteristics of WAN subnets is the gateways' IP (as I understand
it). Is the DHCP server able to assign IPs to subnets based on that
information?

If testing is required, what do I need to set up a testing
environment?

Thank you for your effort!
With regards!

Jure

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hi Jure,
What makes a DHCP server choose an appropriate scope for the IP address
for a client is the subnet address of the client. The DHCP server gets the
subnet address of the client from the address of the relay agent which is on
the same subnet as the client and which forwards the client requests to the
server. So if the relay agents are properly set up on the routers, chances
are you will get it right. To test the relaying activity of the relay
agents, try to ping the DHCP server from the various clients and/or run the
DHCP server locator dhcploc.exe utility from the clients. this utility will
print all the available DHCP servers for a client. This utility is a part of
the Windows Support Tools.It is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&DisplayLang=en
Thanks,
A.J.Anto (MSFT)
"Jure" <jure.lakota@kiss.si> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> Our private network consists of multiple subnets, separated (or
> connected if you like) with routers - WAN (subnet mask:255.255.255.0).
> I have a DHCP service running on a win2003 server on a (central)
> subnet - LAN (subnet mask:255.255.0.0).
> An outsourcer will enable the DHCP relay on routers, but wants me to
> test, whether the DHCP server would assign the IPs properly to each
> subnet.
>
> I've already created scopes for each subnet on the DHCP server. Each
> subnet has its own gateway, but the same DNS servers and domain name.
>
> scope1: x.y.6.50 - x.y.6.150
> gateway1: x.y.6.1
>
> scope2: x.y.7.50 - x.y.7.150
> gateway2: x.y.7.1
>
> etc.
>
> Will the DHCP server do its job and assign IPs to subnets properly
> when DHCP relay is enabled? The only thing that separates
> characteristics of WAN subnets is the gateways' IP (as I understand
> it). Is the DHCP server able to assign IPs to subnets based on that
> information?
>
> If testing is required, what do I need to set up a testing
> environment?
>
> Thank you for your effort!
> With regards!
>
> Jure