TCP/IP Bindings

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I am trying to set up an FTP server with IIS. I can get to it from inside my
network but not from outside. After two days I think I have finally narrowed
down the reason: TCP/IP bindings...or rather, the lack thereof.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP, no use. Then I tried
uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC, no use.

What I have is Windows NT 4 with three protocols: NetBEUI, TCP/IP and WINS
(TCP/IP). NETBEUI and WINS (TCP/IP) bindings to three services: Server,
Workstation, and NETBios Interface.

I have TCP/IP itself bound to the NIC but not to any of the services. I'm
thinking it needs to be bound to the server service at least. Am I right?

If so, how do I get it to bind? I can enable or disable, move up or move
down, but I can't add or delete any bindings.

Thanks for your help.

"Gabinka (MCP, MSDST)" wrote:

> I am trying to set up an FTP server with IIS. I can get to it from inside my
> network but not from outside. After two days I think I have finally narrowed
> down the reason: TCP/IP bindings...or rather, the lack thereof.
>
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP, no use. Then I tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC, no use.
>
> What I have is Windows NT 4 with three protocols: NetBEUI, TCP/IP and WINS
> (TCP/IP). NETBEUI and WINS (TCP/IP) bindings to three services: Server,
> Workstation, and NETBios Interface.
>
> I have TCP/IP itself bound to the NIC but not to any of the services. I'm
> thinking it needs to be bound to the server service at least. Am I right?
>
> If so, how do I get it to bind? I can enable or disable, move up or move
> down, but I can't add or delete any bindings.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Actually a common ports test at grc.com shows that port 21 is still closed.
I'm stymied.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Is there a firewall in this scenario? Does this machine have 2 nic cards?
You shouldn't have to mess with the bindings at all.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" wrote:

> Is there a firewall in this scenario? Does this machine have 2 nic cards?
> You shouldn't have to mess with the bindings at all.

No software firewalls but a router.

This may be a moot problem. I'm going to change the OS on the server and
then try to set up the FTP server.

Thanks anyway.