Benefits of placing my ASUS A8N-SLI in Raid mode?

black_dought

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Hey guys,

quick question, basically i have no idea of what this RAID mode(s) are all about. What are exactly the benifits of placing any mother board and specifically mine into this mode? Very curious? HELP

RichPLS

Champion
RAID0 nearly doubles hard drive speed, but doubles the chances of data loss. 2 drives = twice storage

RAID1 offers very little read performance, and looses performance on writes, but keeps a constant backup of data for protection from drive failure. 2 drives = storage of only 1 drive

BlueMoonKid

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Yikes !!!! A RAID. First . . it is best to know what exactly RAID is before it is used. RAID: "Redundant Array of Independent Disks" RAID is a mode of i/o (input/output or read/write) for multiple hard drives. If you have a single hard drive then RAID is not an option. Every mode of RAID has its advantages and disadvantages. Most common modes are RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 5. If you install RAID then special RAID drivers are needed to install Windows on RAID drives (if they are the boot drive). RAID can be tragic on your data and pocketbook if it is misused. The best thing is to look up "RAID" on a search engine (google, Yahoo, etc) and read the basics about it and find out about the different modes. Be careful and have fun.

black_dought

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Would having a dual boot on different partitions be better in these RAID hard drives? Or would it be better to have them on regular hard drives?

RichPLS

Champion
If you use a RAID 0 or any other using partitions on the same drive you will get a performance hit, not a boost.
You can use partitions if you want (I do not nor suggest it) but they must be on different drives to get any benifits.