Nvidia 7800GT out of date already?

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
the 'new' 7800 gt doesn't support the forthcoming directx10 release. does that make it out of date already? (or as soon as dx10 is released)

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
The DirectX December SDK update != DirectX 10, if that's what you're referring to. It simply has some "sneak peeks" into some of the future DirectX 10 library so that programmers can start writing DirectX 10 compatable video games today.

DirectX 10 isn't out yet and there is no definate release date. However there also are not any current video chipsets in mainstream that support DirectX 10, so you're not really out of date. I wouldn't worry about it as there is no "true" DirectX 10 video card--at least not in mainstream anyway.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
I think next release of windows o/s vista is to include dx10.

If a geforce card doesn't support a certain version of dx, is this something that can be fixed by d/loading an update from nvidia or is it built into the hardware of the card.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
DirectX 9 is going to remain for awhile as the standard for WinXP. DX 10 however is going to be a release for Vista only. the plan as I know it is that they plan on keeping overlapping support for DX 9 and 10 as I am sure not everyone is going to jump to vista as soon as it comes out. you are safe for now. :)

this is as I understand it from what I have read. if I am wrong, feel free to correct. :)

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
well I haven't got it yet, just deciding whether to or not lol. safe for now and for the next few years? (on the back of a 7800gt?)

godmodder

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
First of all, NO windows Vista won't include DX10.

Second, the 7800 series are 100% windows Vista certified, so you won't have any troubles running it on a PC with these cards.

Third, windows Vista will integrate the videocard as a more integral part of the PC, they'll even share recourses with other components.

Lastly I want to say that DX10 is a major threat to the console industry. The advent of Geometry Shaders will unleash a whole new world of possibilities for game programmers.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
A 7800xx card should do nicely for Vista. I found the following OEM lists of "Vista Capable" GPUS:

ATI - using Catalyst Vista beta 1 drivers: X200 integrated, Radeon 9500 and up, X300 and up.

NV - using Forceware alpha Geforce drivers: FX5200 and up including the 6100/6150 integrated chips.

Intel - only mentions the 945G chipset, not any earlier ones.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/entpguid.mspx#EBAA

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
well I've just ordered new pc, so it will have windows xp on it. will probably cost an arm and leg to upgrade to new vista o/s.

also those fx5200 cards are load of crap, i've got 1 now (with my old p3-800 that I'm replacing) and I've hardly been able to play any decent games with it. having said that, the card is just 64 bit (only found that out after I'd got it), so not really a gamers card anyway.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Just thought I'd give you a feel for MS minimum requirements. I know these usually translate to - "yes it works, but I'm NOT happy".

You can see though that based on the cards that should handle Vista's vector based graphics that the 7800xx will be future-proof for quite a while.

Oh, and yes, Microsoft does have a way of making money! :)

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I think those are the requirements for full Aero Glass support. The requirements for Aero Basic are any GPU ie. Geforce, Radeon and up. The i915G probably does Aero Basic also. There is also a lower graphics setting called Classic that resembles Windows 2000. The requirements for that are nearly identical to that of XP. Virtually any computer that meet the recommended requirements of XP should meet the minimum requirements of Vista. Of course, with such low system speeds it won't be pretty, whether visually or performance-wise.

Vista will support both DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 so there is nothing wrong with the nVidia 7800GT or any other graphics card selling today being incompatible with OSs in the near future.