Ugh.. yet another problem please help

bahky

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
i recently just replaced my motherboard and psu because i thought they were dead due to continous very short fast beeps and no booting. So i put the replacements in today and everything looks to be powered up (psu fan,cpu fan case fans ect) but the computer will not turn on/boot... now i checked every connection everything was good. I then tried to just power up with the cpu, 1 stick of ram, and the video card (no hdd/ide devices) still nothing.. no bios nothing. :( please help..

linux_0

Splendid
Are all the devices seated properly? If your VGA card is not seated properly your motherboard will beep like crazy indicating it cannot initialize the video card.

The same thing applies if your RAM is not seated correctly or is completely toast.

Those beep codes you heard could have meant a number of things...

Have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-On_Self_Test

Problems with the VGA and RAM are the most common ones that I have seen.

When you replaced the motherboard I hope you removed any brass standoffs that did not belong any more, or anything that may have shorted out the new motherboard.

happy holidays 2 all

linux_0

Splendid
Please try a good known working VGA card and a good stick of RAM if you have them.

Also you may want to unplug EVERYTHING except the ATX power connector, the P4 +12V connector (if needed), CPU, RAM and VGA.

Some boards are very picky about what kind of RAM you use so check the manual for compatibility.

Also some boards will not boot properly if certain connectors on the motherboard are plugged in backwards or otherwise incorrectly hooked up.

Maybe we could help further if you post all the model numbers here for us (motherboard, CPU, RAM, VGA, HDDs, etc).

Good luck

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I then tried to just power up with the cpu, 1 stick of ram, and the video card (no hdd/ide devices) still nothing.. no bios nothing. :( please help..

Since nothing came on when you pushed the power switch have you tried, checking your switch connection where you might have misconnected? Like power button on a reset terminals?