Epson color 600

geoff

Could any one help me unblocking or removing a print head on a Epson color
600, i have tried cleaning cartridges and compressed air. I would like to
remove the print head preferably, anyone got any service info, or point me
in the right direction.

Geoff wrote:
> Could any one help me unblocking or removing a print head on a Epson
> color 600, i have tried cleaning cartridges and compressed air. I
> would like to remove the print head preferably, anyone got any
> service info, or point me in the right direction.

Why waste time, money and effort on that relic? Just buy a new printer!
lose his marbles?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Geoff" <geoff.fawcett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Could any one help me unblocking or removing a print head on a Epson color
> 600, i have tried cleaning cartridges and compressed air. I would like to
> remove the print head preferably, anyone got any service info, or point me
> in the right direction.

Not so fast I've got a few thousand cartridges to sell for the 600/800/1520
models.
You could be well advised to use a large hammer and chisel. The one resort
could be to mix up household ammonia as a 10:1 solution and run that through
with a spare cartridge. Let it soak overnight as well.
When that doesn't work go to the hammer/chisel solution. They make great
anchors for boats when you fill them with concrete.
Tony
--
Inkylink JetTec UK/USA Quality - Wot others wanna-be
http://www.inkylinkusa.com/inkylinkusa.shtml UPS from Las Vegas

I am sorry to say that if you have used compressed air there is a good
possibility the head has been damaged, especially if there are a lot of
clogged nozzles. The less ability of the head to pass the pressure
through the nozzles, the more likely the head will have been delaminated
or the piezo actuators damaged.

In moist cases the safest method to deal with this (with much success is
to use the methods I provide in the cleaning manual I have written which
includes a method for cleaning the underside of the head and using
properly made cleaning cartridges. This almost always works, although
sometimes you need patience.

In general the only advantage to removing the heads is when you plan on
replacing them. Most people ruin the heads when they remove them, or if
the nozzles are truly cannot be cleared via cleaning cartridges and
underhead cleaning cannot be cleared when removed either.

If you wish to get a copy of my cleaning manual, email me privately and
request one. No charge.

Well over 90% of the people who report back to me have full success
using the methods recommend in the manual.

Art

Geoff wrote:

> Could any one help me unblocking or removing a print head on a Epson color
> 600, i have tried cleaning cartridges and compressed air. I would like to
> remove the print head preferably, anyone got any service info, or point me
> in the right direction.

Would you like to buy this person a new printer? And also, what is your
address, so this person can dump the "old relic" in your backyard when
it is replaced with your generous replacement unit?

Although the 600 is old and a bit slow, it provides a 1400 x 720 dpi
output that is photographic when it works, and I know of many still in use.

Art

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Geoff wrote:
>
>>Could any one help me unblocking or removing a print head on a Epson
>>color 600, i have tried cleaning cartridges and compressed air. I
>>would like to remove the print head preferably, anyone got any
>>service info, or point me in the right direction.
>

> Why waste time, money and effort on that relic? Just buy a new printer!

And although Tony's comments are, as always, self serving, people with
older Epson printers should remember that they use less costly
cartridges, that there are often generics selling for literally a couple
of bucks (on ebay and elsewhere) which work just fine (I use some that
cost me under $2 US each brand new and they work perfectly), and that
they are easy to refill and have no chip on the cartridge.

Art

Tony wrote:

> "Geoff" <geoff.fawcett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>Could any one help me unblocking or removing a print head on a Epson color
>>600, i have tried cleaning cartridges and compressed air. I would like to
>>remove the print head preferably, anyone got any service info, or point me
>>in the right direction.
>

> Not so fast I've got a few thousand cartridges to sell for the 600/800/1520
> models.
> You could be well advised to use a large hammer and chisel. The one resort
> could be to mix up household ammonia as a 10:1 solution and run that through
> with a spare cartridge. Let it soak overnight as well.
> When that doesn't work go to the hammer/chisel solution. They make great
> anchors for boats when you fill them with concrete.
> Tony

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
> And although Tony's comments are, as always, self serving, people with
> older Epson printers should remember that they use less costly
> cartridges, that there are often generics selling for literally a couple
> of bucks (on ebay and elsewhere) which work just fine (I use some that
> cost me under $2 US each brand new and they work perfectly), and that
> they are easy to refill and have no chip on the cartridge.
>
> Art

A strange departure Art from your usual almost authoritative advice. My
comments are usually up front. I can only make comparisons from known facts.
Many comments in this group are at best casual and anecdotal. " I have an
Uncle, whose nephew I think said , Epson are best !" Hogwash.
I imported several Chineses "brands" such as Secajet recently: they were
abysmal.
If you can afford to buy on Ebay - then make allowances for the mistakes
waiting to happen.
Your last comments are misleading. Of course cartridges not requiring a chip
have no chip. I'd like to see you insert a non chipped cartridge in a chip
requiring machine.

Tony wrote:

> "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
>
>>And although Tony's comments are, as always, self serving, people with
>>older Epson printers should remember that they use less costly
>>cartridges, that there are often generics selling for literally a couple
>>of bucks (on ebay and elsewhere) which work just fine (I use some that
>>cost me under $2 US each brand new and they work perfectly), and that
>>they are easy to refill and have no chip on the cartridge.
>>
>>Art
>

> A strange departure Art from your usual almost authoritative advice. My
> comments are usually up front.

I admit to have been overly tired yesterday and not using my best
judgment. I apologize.

I can only make comparisons from known facts.
> Many comments in this group are at best casual and anecdotal. " I have an
> Uncle, whose nephew I think said , Epson are best !" Hogwash.
> I imported several Chineses "brands" such as Secajet recently: they were
> abysmal.

There are many different refill cartridges out there, and some are
probably not very good quality. I suggest people buy ones from dealers
who stand behind the product with a warranty for return, and if using
ebay or other auction locales, that they check the feedback. I have had
good results with some Chinese brands, but the dealer warranted them for
2 years. I will say, however, that in my experience price had little to
do with quality in the 3rd party products.

> If you can afford to buy on Ebay - then make allowances for the mistakes
> waiting to happen.

I'm not sure paying more or buying from through other sources
necessarily guarantees better results, unfortunately. I suppose looking
for a dealer who has been around for several years might indicate they
wish to have and rely upon repeat business.

> Your last comments are misleading. Of course cartridges not requiring a chip
> have no chip. I'd like to see you insert a non chipped cartridge in a chip
> requiring machine.

If they were misleading, that wasn't the intent. What I was stating is
that the older Epson printers which do not use chipped cartridges offer
more choice of generics replacement cartridges, and that those generics
tend to be cheaper because there is no chip involved. Further, these
older printers do not have the extra complexity of the electronics and
mechanics that the newer machines do. This extra complexity has been
known to cause additional problems, failures, or breakdowns which can be
avoided with the older machines.

The main advantages of the newer machines (which use the chips) are:

Slightly smaller droplet size, which on mission critical work my be
significant, but for the most part is not a drastic improvement

Faster printing, which, if time is critical for you, can be significant,
but if money is more of an issue, the older models will do.

Some models have pigmented inks. This may prove important is longevity
is important. Ink prices will be higher however. Use of the right
papers can help to make dye inks last longer, and some people find they
can use 3rd party pigmented inks in older printers without difficulty.

The chipped cartridges allow for the ink level information to be held in
the cartridge so if you exchange cartridges mid-stream, they will remain
accurate (unless you use a resetter with partially filled cartridges)

In some cases, better driver profiles allowing for more accurate color.

In general, the separate ink cartridges now used with most Epson
printers doesn't tend to save ink due to how the printer responds with
each cartridge replacement.

The advantages to older machines are:

Lower ink operating costs even with Epson cartridges

Ready availability to generics at very reasonable prices

Relative ease of refilling the cartridges

Reduction of mechanical and other issues that involve the chipped technology

Some produce between black ink only photo output

Generally have more durable heads and better physical builds (they tend
to last longer).

I am not necessarily suggesting anyone toss out their newer Epson
printer to replace it with an older one. But I do think that there are
enough good reasons to maintain older Epson printers for as long as
possible, if the needs of the owner have not radically changed to
require some of the newer features I have mentioned.

Art