how do I boot up in dos mode on my xp

Hi, Kay.

Why?

This question has been asked several times here in the past couple of days
and I have to wonder why! :^{

Why do you want (or need?) to boot into DOS mode in WinXP? What are you
trying to do?

You CANNOT boot into MS-DOS mode in WinXP!!!!

You can boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt. From WinXP, you can click
Command Prompt to enter a "DOS" window, which looks like MS-DOS but is
really an emulation that runs within WinXP.

You can use WinXP to create an MS-DOS startup diskette, but it will not be
able to read NTFS volumes (without a third-party utility), so you can't do
much with it - except maybe flash an update into your BIOS.

If you tell us what you hope to accomplish, we can probably help. But if
you want to "boot up in dos mode on my xp", the answer is: you can't.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Kay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I boot up in dos mode on my xp? thanks

Kay

I have to scan my disk to remove a worm. I am trying to
get into safe mode on my laptop but its not going into
safemode. Are laptops different to get into safemode?
Then I was going to run a dos scan program. I did this
once before on my desktop and it removed all sorts of
unwanted worms. I have a worm on my laptop and Mcafee
won't work.

Hi, Kay.

>I have to scan my disk to remove a worm.

Then I think you are asking the wrong question. You need to ask how to
remove the worm. My experience with worms and such is (thankfully!) quite
limited, but I doubt very much that you need to boot into MS-DOS to deal
with it.

If you mention the name of the malware, there's an excellent chance that
someone here (not me!) will recognize it and be able to give you some
specific advice for how to deal with it. Many MVPs and other readers here
keep very busy removing various kinds of bad guys for friends and customers
on a daily basis.

So, don't ask how to boot into DOS. Ask how to remove your specific worm.
You might want to start a new thread with a more appropriate Subject line.

RC
--

>I have to scan my disk to remove a worm. I am trying to
> get into safe mode on my laptop but its not going into
> safemode. Are laptops different to get into safemode?
> Then I was going to run a dos scan program. I did this
> once before on my desktop and it removed all sorts of
> unwanted worms. I have a worm on my laptop and Mcafee
> won't work.

norm

If the XP partition on your laptop is formatted with NTFS then booting into
dos will do you no good as dos will not recognize the NTFS partition. You
can boot into true dos by downloading and creating a dos bootable floppy
from bootdisk.com but again it will no see your C drive.

Install DOS.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

R. C. White wrote:

> Hi, Kay.
>
>> I have to scan my disk to remove a worm.
>

> Then I think you are asking the wrong question. You need to ask how to
> remove the worm. My experience with worms and such is (thankfully!)
> quite limited, but I doubt very much that you need to boot into MS-DOS
> to deal with it.
>
> If you mention the name of the malware, there's an excellent chance that
> someone here (not me!) will recognize it and be able to give you some
> specific advice for how to deal with it. Many MVPs and other readers
> here keep very busy removing various kinds of bad guys for friends and
> customers on a daily basis.
>
> So, don't ask how to boot into DOS. Ask how to remove your specific
> worm. You might want to start a new thread with a more appropriate
> Subject line.
>
> RC

Go to http://www.symantec.com/avcenter and look up the virus/worm you have.
There will be instructions on how to remove it, and possibly, a free program
that will fix your problem.

courtney sends....

Take a look at this site.

http://www.claymania.com/virus-ntfs.html