FSB on Athlon 64 X2 Question

jwhicks727

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I'm just learning about overclocking for the first time and I'm getting used to the terminology as I design my new system. I'm looking at the X2 specs and I notice they have an FSB of 2000MHz?? Would this mean the multiplier is x1 then for the 3800+ to achieve its clock speed of 2Ghz? That seems kind of wierd from my reading so far, but maybe I'm not understanding something... can someone clarify this?

linux_0

Splendid
Each Hypertransport bus in each core runs at 1000MHz :-D

That means the two cores can talk to each other at 1000MHz which is really fast :-D

I think the 2000MHz FSB is marketing talk, while each core does have a 1000MHz FSB by itself that does not really equal a 2000MHz FSB.

Update: WRONG I dunno what I was thinking. It really is a 2000MHz FSB.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

The sad part is your RAM doesn't run that fast.

A Dual Channel config would be better for anything you want to do so grab a dual channel memory kit and use a dual channel capable chipset which would be any decent non-crippled chipset these days.

The nForce4 and VIA K8T8xx are both very good. I recommend the nVidia in most cases, the VIA being the 2nd choice.

JimAMan

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
I think the 2000MHz FSB is marketing talk, while each core does have a 1000MHz FSB by itself that does not really equal a 2000MHz FSB.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

This is not marketing hype. The bus allows communication both directions at the same time. Hence the 2000MHz! :wink:

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
The newer Athlons don't have a FSB at all. They have a HT (Hyper Transport). It has the speed of 1000MHz but in order to make a fair comparison with other systems the effective frequence of 2000MHz is used.

The reason the Athlon64s don't have a FSB is because the memory controller is integrated in the CPU core. All other systems has the memory controller in the northbridge chipset on the motherboard. This difference is also the reason AMDs newer CPUs kicks ass with all other CPUs.

linux_0

Splendid
Sorry I meant Model 2xx and 8xx Server Opterons. The workstation Opterons are designed to run alone.

IIRC the Dual-core Athlons and Opterons also have an extra internal HT bus so the two cores can talk to each other at 1000MHz FD.

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
the hyper transport is 1000mhz up and down so its 2000mhz
the real fsb is 200mhz. the hyper transport multiplies it by 5 to get 1000.
when you overclock your moving the 200mhz up.