networking problems

Hi everyone,

I had all Linksys Wireless equipment. Everything worked fine until my
linksys router died, I replaced it with a Belkin router. My computer has a
linksys wireless USB adapter (hardware version 2.6) but all my other
computers have 2.5. My computer randomly would lose its connection to my
network, but instead of showing it, the send light in the system tray would
stay on and the receive off, and if I double clicked the icon to see the
status, it would come on for a milisecond then close. To fix this I had to
unplug and replug in my wireless adapter, I had Service Pack 1a. I just
reformatted expected it to be fixed and I have 3 different versions of the
drivers. One on the CD that came with it, a newer one on the linksys website,
and a newer one on the windows update site by microsoft. In the two linksys
ones, i don't get disconnected but starcraft lags every few seconds, but with
the windows update driver, I lose connection but starcraft works. It seems to
not drop my connection when I am using the internet connection. I upgraded to
SP2, but it does the same thing, except the network light stays off in the
system tray, it says its connected, but I can't see a network name. Any idea
what I should do, maybe disable window's zero config and install the linksys
utility with one of the drivers? Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about networking problems

    I don't know what is wrong, but you might try turning off the 802.1x
    security. Also, do you have all the security turned off and the
    firewalls also. Is the signal strong? Turn on the SSID, at least
    during the setup phase.

    Clark

    bob wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I had all Linksys Wireless equipment. Everything worked fine until my
    > linksys router died, I replaced it with a Belkin router. My computer has a
    > linksys wireless USB adapter (hardware version 2.6) but all my other
    > computers have 2.5. My computer randomly would lose its connection to my
    > network, but instead of showing it, the send light in the system tray would
    > stay on and the receive off, and if I double clicked the icon to see the
    > status, it would come on for a milisecond then close. To fix this I had to
    > unplug and replug in my wireless adapter, I had Service Pack 1a. I just
    > reformatted expected it to be fixed and I have 3 different versions of the
    > drivers. One on the CD that came with it, a newer one on the linksys website,
    > and a newer one on the windows update site by microsoft. In the two linksys
    > ones, i don't get disconnected but starcraft lags every few seconds, but with
    > the windows update driver, I lose connection but starcraft works. It seems to
    > not drop my connection when I am using the internet connection. I upgraded to
    > SP2, but it does the same thing, except the network light stays off in the
    > system tray, it says its connected, but I can't see a network name. Any idea
    > what I should do, maybe disable window's zero config and install the linksys
    > utility with one of the drivers? Thanks!

    There is absolutely NO good reason to turn off SSID broadcast. Turning it
    off doesn't offer ANY security. Your AP or wireless router in fact
    broadcasts its SSID each time a computer connects to it, thus turning SSID
    broadcast off doesn't actually turn it off.

    It does in fact cause problems with WinXP that expects to "see" the SSID
    when connecting. Also, if your neighbors install an AP, your computer will,
    by default, try to connect to this new AP that IS broadcasting its SSID.
    This behavior is by design.

    I would use the drivers from the website of the manufacturer and not from
    the Windows update site, since this worked for you before.

    Turn on the SSID broadcast and use some type of encryption for security.
    Turning off SSID broadcasting is NOT a security measure.
    TW

    "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
    >I don't know what is wrong, but you might try turning off the 802.1x
    >security. Also, do you have all the security turned off and the firewalls
    >also. Is the signal strong? Turn on the SSID, at least during the setup
    >phase.
    >
    > Clark
    >
    > bob wrote:
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I had all Linksys Wireless equipment. Everything worked fine until my
    >> linksys router died, I replaced it with a Belkin router. My computer has
    >> a linksys wireless USB adapter (hardware version 2.6) but all my other
    >> computers have 2.5. My computer randomly would lose its connection to my
    >> network, but instead of showing it, the send light in the system tray
    >> would stay on and the receive off, and if I double clicked the icon to
    >> see the status, it would come on for a milisecond then close. To fix this
    >> I had to unplug and replug in my wireless adapter, I had Service Pack 1a.
    >> I just reformatted expected it to be fixed and I have 3 different
    >> versions of the drivers. One on the CD that came with it, a newer one on
    >> the linksys website, and a newer one on the windows update site by
    >> microsoft. In the two linksys ones, i don't get disconnected but
    >> starcraft lags every few seconds, but with the windows update driver, I
    >> lose connection but starcraft works. It seems to not drop my connection
    >> when I am using the internet connection. I upgraded to SP2, but it does
    >> the same thing, except the network light stays off in the system tray, it
    >> says its connected, but I can't see a network name. Any idea what I
    >> should do, maybe disable window's zero config and install the linksys
    >> utility with one of the drivers? Thanks!

Wireless Linksys Networking Wireless Networking