networking problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 5, 2005 6:10:01 PM

Hi everyone,

I had all Linksys Wireless equipment. Everything worked fine until my
linksys router died, I replaced it with a Belkin router. My computer has a
linksys wireless USB adapter (hardware version 2.6) but all my other
computers have 2.5. My computer randomly would lose its connection to my
network, but instead of showing it, the send light in the system tray would
stay on and the receive off, and if I double clicked the icon to see the
status, it would come on for a milisecond then close. To fix this I had to
unplug and replug in my wireless adapter, I had Service Pack 1a. I just
reformatted expected it to be fixed and I have 3 different versions of the
drivers. One on the CD that came with it, a newer one on the linksys website,
and a newer one on the windows update site by microsoft. In the two linksys
ones, i don't get disconnected but starcraft lags every few seconds, but with
the windows update driver, I lose connection but starcraft works. It seems to
not drop my connection when I am using the internet connection. I upgraded to
SP2, but it does the same thing, except the network light stays off in the
system tray, it says its connected, but I can't see a network name. Any idea
what I should do, maybe disable window's zero config and install the linksys
utility with one of the drivers? Thanks!

More about : networking problems

September 6, 2005 8:28:17 AM

I don't know what is wrong, but you might try turning off the 802.1x
security. Also, do you have all the security turned off and the
firewalls also. Is the signal strong? Turn on the SSID, at least
during the setup phase.

Clark

bob wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I had all Linksys Wireless equipment. Everything worked fine until my
> linksys router died, I replaced it with a Belkin router. My computer has a
> linksys wireless USB adapter (hardware version 2.6) but all my other
> computers have 2.5. My computer randomly would lose its connection to my
> network, but instead of showing it, the send light in the system tray would
> stay on and the receive off, and if I double clicked the icon to see the
> status, it would come on for a milisecond then close. To fix this I had to
> unplug and replug in my wireless adapter, I had Service Pack 1a. I just
> reformatted expected it to be fixed and I have 3 different versions of the
> drivers. One on the CD that came with it, a newer one on the linksys website,
> and a newer one on the windows update site by microsoft. In the two linksys
> ones, i don't get disconnected but starcraft lags every few seconds, but with
> the windows update driver, I lose connection but starcraft works. It seems to
> not drop my connection when I am using the internet connection. I upgraded to
> SP2, but it does the same thing, except the network light stays off in the
> system tray, it says its connected, but I can't see a network name. Any idea
> what I should do, maybe disable window's zero config and install the linksys
> utility with one of the drivers? Thanks!
September 6, 2005 11:57:58 PM

There is absolutely NO good reason to turn off SSID broadcast. Turning it
off doesn't offer ANY security. Your AP or wireless router in fact
broadcasts its SSID each time a computer connects to it, thus turning SSID
broadcast off doesn't actually turn it off.

It does in fact cause problems with WinXP that expects to "see" the SSID
when connecting. Also, if your neighbors install an AP, your computer will,
by default, try to connect to this new AP that IS broadcasting its SSID.
This behavior is by design.

I would use the drivers from the website of the manufacturer and not from
the Windows update site, since this worked for you before.

Turn on the SSID broadcast and use some type of encryption for security.
Turning off SSID broadcasting is NOT a security measure.
TW

!