ADS 1394 Pyro Drive Kits

G

Danger, the ADS 1394 Pyro Drive Kit does not work very well. It installs poorly on your system and the included software usually will not enable your system to recognize the hardware. To install, you have to manually go to control panel-add hardware-click on SBP2 (yes) and use your Win98 2nded edition software. If your software and driver does install properly (it may not under normal boot-ups as you can't find the SBP2 and storage device under device manager in control panel but......you can find these icons when you boot into safe) and your Pc does recognize your hardware (I have had a functioning dual pyro drive setup but no longer have even one despite switching around three hard drives) do not....I repeat....do not turn off the pyro drive kit even if the PC is turned off! Yes this is true as your PC will lose it's ability to recognize the pyro drive hardware! This is a real bummer. I have had my pyro drive kits for nearly a month and it has been frustrating. When the kits work, I could benchmark (via Matrox HD testing)between 7.1 to 7.9MBS second transfer compared to a 2.4 to 3.8 MBS transfer to my IDE hard drive installed inside my case---one of my hard drives is a WD ATA 100 30G 7200rpm. Yes this product will enable you to run your digital camcorder and download directly into a pyro drive kit hard drive without losing information. However, I have had trouble getting my PC recognizing the pyro drive kits and I probably have spent over 30 hours during the last month working on this problem. I have a 440BX gigabyte motherboard with the latest July 2000 bios update--win98 second ed OS with the latest updates, 288 MB of PC 100 and 133 SDRAM, P3 EB 600 processor. I certainly hope someone can reply to this with help--updated drivers as this product has potential to fill a need for fast storage expansion. I don't know if I had used a 1394 connector hub if my problems would go away.

Tinkerin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I won't be of any help with your problem, but simply mentioning that I installed this product on my older ibm PII233 without any problem whatsoever. Software installed fine. I did follow their instructions to install their drivers before "touching" the hardware. Win98se machine finds the drive each and everytime I plug it in. No problems disconnecting as long as I do it in software first.

Good luck resolving your frustrating problem.

G

I have been able to install this product on my customized PC but had to use a method different than stated in the enclosed manual. However,I have not been able to successfully install a double pyro drive setup as ADS advertises and have spent countless hours trying before giving up and the company claims I have a corrupted firmware. I am in the process of returning one of my three pyro drive kits for further review.

Tinkerin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From the pan into the fire! Thought all this stuff was to make life simpler rather more complicated. Let me know how you make out. I'd thought about adding another, but...

Happy Holidays to you and yours