Sign in with
Your question

Pls Explain Rise & Fall Response Times???

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 12, 2002 4:43:05 AM

Hello,

I've been researching LCD monitors and I see some manufacturers just displaying a single response time, while others show a Rise Time & a Fall Time.

Can someone explain the difference and how to compare the two??

Thanks!
Frank
January 12, 2002 7:40:53 AM

If they display a single then it's likely the total (rise+fall) which is what you should be concerned about. If they display rise&fall seperately, just add 'em up. If 3D is important, try to stay <30ms which is still twice as slow as a typical CRT but minimal blur/ghosting.
January 12, 2002 9:37:49 AM

Respons time is a measure of how quick the pixels go from black to white - and back again from white to black.
Response time is the total of the two, whereas rise time is black to white and fall time is white to black.

So when you have response time the preferred value should be below 30 ms - and if you have rise time and fall time, the two added up should be below 30 ms.

Nick

The only way I heat up my house is by overclocking my cpu :tongue:
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 13, 2002 12:28:29 PM

even then it is often overstated since intermediate tones may take even longer to change states completely.
That said, don't get too hung up on spec's - most people seem to be happy with their screens. If you are a hard core gamer staywith CRTs for another year or two. LCds will only get better and cheaper ....$300-400 will get you a great CRT or a mediocre LCD.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.
January 13, 2002 2:23:05 PM

Unless you wanna dish out 800 bucks as I did, and then LCD is very fit for gaming...my TFT7020 has no ghosting no nothing. It's awesome...looks better than my CRT!

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!
January 13, 2002 9:21:32 PM

Yeah but Flame, your CRT was a piece of [-peep-] :smile:
January 13, 2002 10:36:43 PM

Actually, I have 2 CRT's. One's a 5 year old 15", the other a brand new (ok, few month old) 17" Viewsonic Graphics series (the best 17" they had in that series). The TFT7020 is still better than it.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!
!