Looking good for the Cingular takeover of AT&T

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1498&ncid=1293&e=2&u=/th
edeal/20040813/bs_deal_thedeal/cingularsetforearlyclearance>

"Harvey" <HAR@blit.com> wrote in message
| <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1498&ncid=1293&e=2&u=/th
| edeal/20040813/bs_deal_thedeal/cingularsetforearlyclearance>
|
| Looking good for the Cingular takeover of AT&T

tiny version:

http://tinyurl.com/3ngge

fred

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

That link got me a dead end.

Fred

"Harvey" <HAR@blit.com> wrote in message
> <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1498&ncid=1293&e=2&u=/th
> edeal/20040813/bs_deal_thedeal/cingularsetforearlyclearance>
>
> Looking good for the Cingular takeover of AT&T

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Is this Phillie with the Mac and broken link in a new ID?

Chris

In alt.cellular Chris Russell <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
> Is this Phillie with the Mac and broken link in a new ID?

Probably. But the fact is that Cingular's takeover of AT&T can only mean
good things for AT&T's customers.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

The first post had a broken link that you would have to copy and paste the
end. The next one had a tinyurl that got you there. I just went to Yahoo
Technology news and dug down to it.

Chris

"Fred" <Fred267@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> That link got me a dead end.
>
> Fred
>
> "Harvey" <HAR@blit.com> wrote in message
>> <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1498&ncid=1293&e=2&u=/th
>> edeal/20040813/bs_deal_thedeal/cingularsetforearlyclearance>
>>
>> Looking good for the Cingular takeover of AT&T

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

assuming we're not one of the ten million sold off.

Stu

sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

trey

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Stuart Friedman wrote:
> assuming we're not one of the ten million sold off.
>
> Stu

What would happen if you were sold off, then canceled with your new
provider, what ever it is, and come back to Cingular? Will they say "No, you
cant do that"?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <QbCdnQybCsh_0IDcRVn-jQ@lmi.net> on Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:25:22 -0500, Steven
J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>In alt.cellular Chris Russell <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
>> Is this Phillie with the Mac and broken link in a new ID?
>
>Probably. But the fact is that Cingular's takeover of AT&T can only mean
>good things for AT&T's customers.

Not necessarily -- ATTWS have the best of both worlds at the moment, with
better customer service, more advanced features, and free roaming on Cingular.

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<kreTc.7449$54.112917@typhoon.sonic.net>...

> Not necessarily -- ATTWS have the best of both worlds at the moment, with
> better customer service, more advanced features, and free roaming on Cingular.

Sure- customers always get good deals at a "Going Out of Business"
sale... ;-)

Seriously, however, after being transfered from the US to India and
back at least four times in an activation call two weeks ago, I'm not
sure I'm ready to call AT&T CS better than Cingular's. They are both,
at best, baseline competent, IMHO.

As far as advanced features, what does ATTWS offer that Cingular
doesn't?

And as far as roaming, I suspect that was an intelligent, albeit
expensive, attempt to fix the excellent coverage reputation ATTWS
completely squandered over the last couple of years. Realistically,
the merger will give both AT&T and Cingular customers the same
coverage AT&T customers have now- both networks.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

What makes you think that anything like ten million will be sold off?
While Cingular may have to give up some spectrum in some areas, I don't see
any reason to believe that it will have to sell off a significant number of
subscribers.

In <de37a2e0.0408132234.1d2d83df@posting.google.com> on 13 Aug 2004 23:34:15
-0700, elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<kreTc.7449$54.112917@typhoon.sonic.net>...
>
>> Not necessarily -- ATTWS have the best of both worlds at the moment, with
>> better customer service, more advanced features, and free roaming on Cingular.
>
>Sure- customers always get good deals at a "Going Out of Business"
>sale... ;-)

Indeed, ATTWS is clearly scrambling to prevent meltdown.

>Seriously, however, after being transfered from the US to India and
>back at least four times in an activation call two weeks ago, I'm not
>sure I'm ready to call AT&T CS better than Cingular's. They are both,
>at best, baseline competent, IMHO.

I've never had an ATTWS support call outside of the USA.

>As far as advanced features, what does ATTWS offer that Cingular
>doesn't?

Better OTA configuration. More advanced voicemail. Widespread EDGE. UMTS.

>And as far as roaming, I suspect that was an intelligent, albeit
>expensive, attempt to fix the excellent coverage reputation ATTWS
>completely squandered over the last couple of years.

So be it.

>Realistically,
>the merger will give both AT&T and Cingular customers the same
>coverage AT&T customers have now- both networks.

Perhaps, but that remains to be seen.

--

In article <IseTc.7450$54.112996@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> What makes you think that anything like ten million will be sold off?

Um, the fact that I can read. (Apparently John Navas can't read. Or
doesn't want to--because reading facts might upset things in John's
little world, where things are the way John wants them to be.)

From the article in question, which is the direct source of the ten
million comment:

> Regardless, the required divestitures will not come close
> to giving Cingular the right to back out of the deal. The
> merger agreement requires the company to sell spectrum and
> customers worth up to $8.25 billion. That equates to dumping
> 10 million of the 22 million AT&T Wireless customers that
> Cingular is gaining in the transaction.

Whether they do it or not is immaterial. The ten million customers
comment came directly from that article, and John's world didn't allow
for anything like that. In the same manner that a frog literally
doesn't see anything that doesn't behave like a fly, John literally
doesn't see anything that doesn't fit into the little world John built
for himself.

So if John doesn't know it, it doesn't exist. He's not ignoring it;
literally, in John's mind, it doesn't exist. So when someone refers to
the "ten million customers" thing, John honestly has no clue what he's
talking about.

Proof, then, that John Navas is clueless.

In alt.cellular Stuart Friedman <stu@nospam.na> wrote:
> assuming we're not one of the ten million sold off.

My understanding is that AT&T has gotten so bad that just about anyone else
would be an improvement :p

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

This excerpt from the Yahoo story explains the loss of 10 million (out of 22
million) customers or $8.25B of ATTWS' current business.

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> What makes you think that anything like ten million will be sold off?
> While Cingular may have to give up some spectrum in some areas, I don't
> see
> any reason to believe that it will have to sell off a significant number
> of
> subscribers.
>
> In <CpcTc.23959$Jp6.5136@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Fri, 13 Aug
> 2004
> 23:46:42 GMT, "Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote:
>
>>assuming we're not one of the ten million sold off.
>>
>>Stu
>>
>>"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Probably. But the fact is that Cingular's takeover of AT&T can only mean
>>> good things for AT&T's customers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
>>> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
>>sjsobol@JustThe.net
>>> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
>>> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three
>>> kids.
>>

> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

With all due respect, you apparently misunderstand what that says -- it's just
the dollar amount at which Cingular could back out of the deal, not an
expectation that Cingular would actually be required to divest anything close
to that. In fact, recent stories suggest that Cingular won't have to divest
much. Furthermore, the subscriber count is merely a sizing ("equates") of the
maximum possible divestiture value. Cingular might well be required only to
sell off spectrum, not subscribers, as it did in the recent deal with
T-Mobile, which already amounts to a significant divestiture ($2.5 billion).

--

In <elmop-489235.07120214082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Sat, 14 Aug 2004
07:12:02 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <7ikTc.7506$54.113833@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >Seriously, however, after being transfered from the US to India and
>> >back at least four times in an activation call two weeks ago, I'm not
>> >sure I'm ready to call AT&T CS better than Cingular's. They are both,
>> >at best, baseline competent, IMHO.
>>
>> I've never had an ATTWS support call outside of the USA.
>
>Is that relevant to anything ... ?

Yes. The prior statement. I thought that was pretty clear, but you since
you're obviously easily confused, I'm happy to make it even more clear. ;-)

--

In <elmop-1B507F.10204314082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Sat, 14 Aug 2004
10:20:43 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <IseTc.7450$54.112996@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> What makes you think that anything like ten million will be sold off?
>
>Um, the fact that I can read. ...

The article doesn't say that, so while you profess to be able to read, you
apparently have a comprehension problem. ;-)

>From the article in question, which is the direct source of the ten
>million comment:
>
>> Regardless, the required divestitures will not come close
>> to giving Cingular the right to back out of the deal. The
>> merger agreement requires the company to sell spectrum and
>> customers worth up to $8.25 billion. That equates to dumping
>> 10 million of the 22 million AT&T Wireless customers that
>> Cingular is gaining in the transaction.

>[SNIP usual childish ad hominem]

The key word there is "equates", which means that the 10 million is just a way
of sizing the dollar value of the divestiture, which need not (and probably
will not) actually involve any selling off of customers, only spectrum, as in
the recent deal with T-Mobile, a $2.5 billion divestiture of spectrum, with
Cingular retaining all the customers.

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Sorry John, Cingular can't sell $8.25 billion of ATTWS' business if they
haven't bought it in the first place. Your know-it-all logic is totally off
the mark.

Chris

In article <KJpTc.3344$FV3.2550@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
"Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:

> Sorry John, Cingular can't sell $8.25 billion of ATTWS' business if they
> haven't bought it in the first place. Your know-it-all logic is totally off
> the mark.

Quit confusing John with the facts.

In JohnNavasWorld, where wizards spit fire from their fingertips, his
logic is perfectly sound.

Of course, no one else lives there...

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Rudeness doesn't make your claim any more compelling.

The actual text of the ATTWS-Cingular merger agreement is available on-line at
<http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1138234/000089102004000245/v96620e8vk.htm>

Kindly point to specific language that supports your contention (if you can).

-John

In <elmop-31B15E.13255114082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Sat, 14 Aug 2004
13:25:51 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <KJpTc.3344$FV3.2550@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Sorry John, Cingular can't sell $8.25 billion of ATTWS' business if they
>> haven't bought it in the first place. Your know-it-all logic is totally off
>> the mark.
>
>Quit confusing John with the facts.

Reports in the press aren't facts. Facts are:
<http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1138234/000089102004000245/v96620e8vk.htm>
which don't support his contention.

--

In <G8OdneO3DPF82IPcRVn-sA@lmi.net> on Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:03:29 -0500, Steven
J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>In alt.cellular Stuart Friedman <stu@nospam.na> wrote:
>> assuming we're not one of the ten million sold off.
>
>My understanding is that AT&T has gotten so bad that just about anyone else
>would be an improvement :p

Not in this area at least -- service is very good here.

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

A merger is a fluid give and take situation. Once the merger is complete
Cingular will have to divest $8.25 billion of spectrum and/or customers.
By the way, go to the site below and read sec 6.5(b) to see that the
'aggregate negative Net Effects' that are to be sold off is $8.25B as
referenced in your SEC filing you posted. It is not the amount that
Cingular would have to pay if they backed out of the deal.

http://snipurl.com/8fqz

And my last message was not rude, you just don't like to hear anyone that
puts a logical statement that contradicts your thinking. You are not the
end all be all arbiter of things Cingular

Chris

In <I0wTc.1005$TI4.538@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com> on Sat, 14 Aug 2004
22:05:28 GMT, "Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:

>A merger is a fluid give and take situation.

Not true. Once a definitive agreement has been signed, it can only be
modified according to the terms of the agreement.

>Once the merger is complete
>Cingular will have to divest $8.25 billion of spectrum and/or customers.

Also not true. $8.25 billion is just the point at which any party (e.g.,
Cingular) could walk from the deal. In other words, if the FCC required $9
billion of divestiture, Cingular could walk; OTOH, if the FCC required $8
billion of divestiture, Cingular would still be bound by the deal. In
addition, that $8.25 billion is an amount of assets (e.g., spectrum), not
customers.

>By the way, go to the site below and read sec 6.5(b) to see that the
>'aggregate negative Net Effects' that are to be sold off is $8.25B as
>referenced in your SEC filing you posted.

Indeed, do go and actually read it, more carefully.
Here are the relevant parts (numbered for reference below):

1) Nothing in this Agreement shall require, or be construed to require,
Cingular, Cingular Wireless, BellSouth, SBC or their respective
Subsidiaries to take any action or enter into any agreement with
respect to any of its assets, business or operations ... that would,
individually or in the aggregate, reasonably be expected to result in
the aggregate negative Net Effects being more than the Material
Adverse Amount (as defined in Section 6.5(b) of the Cingular
Disclosure Letter (a "Material Adverse Condition")).

2) For purposes of calculating Net Effects with respect to the sale of a
market or spectrum it is agreed that (i) the Net Effects of the sale
of a market owned by any of the Company, Cingular or Cingular
Wireless will be an amount equal to the Per Subscriber Amount (as
defined in Section 6.5 of the Cingular Disclosure Letter) multiplied
by the number of subscribers in the system and operations in such
market proposed by Cingular, in good faith, to be sold, and (ii) the
Net Effects of the sale of spectrum-only shall be $0.50 per MHz POP.

In short, it simply says (1) that any party can walk from the deal if the
government requires more than $8.5 billion worth of divestiture, and (2) that
the value of divestiture is measured by percentage of the subscriber base.
It does *not* say that *any* divestiture is required!

>It is not the amount that
>Cingular would have to pay if they backed out of the deal.

Of course not -- that's covered elsewhere in the definitive agreement.

>And my last message was not rude,

It was actually quite rude.

>you just don't like to hear anyone that
>puts a logical statement that contradicts your thinking.

I just don't like rudeness and bad information.

>You are not the
>end all be all arbiter of things Cingular

True.