Folding@Home crashing on Windows 7

arges86

Distinguished
So i've been running the Folding@Home GPU Client (currently version 6.23) on my Vista machine for a while w/ no problems...
I installed Windows 7 last week and i've noticed that Folding@Home will crash every-now-and-then bringing the whole computer down w/ a good old BSOD.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue? Just not use the client until an update?

My computer is:
AMD: Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2991 MHz
Mobo: Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 v.2
RAM: 4GB Mushkin DDR2 PC2-6400
VC: EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB

Have they approved the drivers for Windows 7 and folding @ home? If the drivers for windows 7 aren't WHQL certified you could jeopardize any workloads submitted by other workers on your project.

Be sure everything is approved to work on Windows 7.

Also, are you running the client version that shows a progress window? It's best to run the version that runs in the background with no image view. This seems to run more stable even on the approved WHQL setups...

I get your point but to me it doesn't make sense to use a driver that can corrupt several work packets from other users. I don't find that a good option as avid users on the folding @ home site speak very negatively of doing so.

I honestly think the type of client he is using is the culprit. I used to use the display version and it would crash frequently. The work around for me was using the client that runs in the background with no image view. I think he should try this if he hasn't already...

Just curious, how many points does your team have? I think before I dropped off from doing f@h my team was @ 500,000. I intend to load it back up on my 3 systems once I get my upgrades/RMA's done. I would at least like to reach the 1,000,000 mile marker... ;)

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I clearly understand what Folding @ Home is... but I gotta ask... is the added power consumption really worth it? I just picture one massive super computer being a more efficient means of harnessing computational horsepower. Even for the people who would leave their computers on 24/7 this just seems like a waste.

If every time I drove to give blood I had a wreck and sent 3 people to the ER, would my one unit of blood really help the big picture? It'd be a noble gesture no doubt, but the end result would be a negative one.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist... I guess I'm just curious why you guys fold. I skipped the Folding client install when upgrading to the newest Catalyst drivers. I'm sure my ATI 5850 could crunch through some numbers, but I just feel like I'm doing more good by turning off my computer. My electric bill was $36 so I feel like I'm helping the world be a better place just by doing that.

Its a catch 22 situation IMO. You can fold to help find a cure for someone you love or even yourself in a future even that is inevitable. My mother has cancer for the 4th time and this time she has been told she has 2-5 years. She is responding to treatments quite good so who knows. I don't do anything else to help find cures to anything so this is an outing of satisfaction and who knows it might even help find that cure a little sooner than if everyone on the planet said let someone else worry about it.

If you haven't had an event that has effected you or a family member then you are lucky and you can do as you have, which there is nothing wrong with doing so. I just see it differently being directly effected by a disease that folding @ home is known for crunching data to find a cure for.

To each his/her own...