cannot ping myself

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

This is really weird.
My PC can obtain a dhcp address and ping every other machine on the network,
including the router/dhcp server.
It can ping 127.0.0.1 no one can ping the address of my machine including
me. The same thing applies if I set a static IP address that is available.

Running XP home, in a workgroup, all the machines are XP pro except for one
other XP home.
This machine has networked well for 2 years.
Is the network card going bad? It is integrated into the motherboard.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

did you by any chance upgrade to XP SP2 lately? It activates the Windows
firewall.

"websiter@sbcglobal.net" wrote:

> This is really weird.
> My PC can obtain a dhcp address and ping every other machine on the network,
> including the router/dhcp server.
> It can ping 127.0.0.1 no one can ping the address of my machine including
> me. The same thing applies if I set a static IP address that is available.
>
> Running XP home, in a workgroup, all the machines are XP pro except for one
> other XP home.
> This machine has networked well for 2 years.
> Is the network card going bad? It is integrated into the motherboard.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Yes to sp2. Yet the problem persists even if firewall is disabled. Also,
why would the firewall prevent me from pinging myself.

"telnet-woes" <telnetwoes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> did you by any chance upgrade to XP SP2 lately? It activates the Windows
> firewall.
>
> "websiter@sbcglobal.net" wrote:
>
>> This is really weird.
>> My PC can obtain a dhcp address and ping every other machine on the
>> network,
>> including the router/dhcp server.
>> It can ping 127.0.0.1 no one can ping the address of my machine including
>> me. The same thing applies if I set a static IP address that is
>> available.
>>
>> Running XP home, in a workgroup, all the machines are XP pro except for
>> one
>> other XP home.
>> This machine has networked well for 2 years.
>> Is the network card going bad? It is integrated into the motherboard.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Make sure to disable the Windows Firewall Service and then reboot. Typically
the first thing a firewall does is to block ICMP(ping) packets.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"websiter@sbcglobal.net" <websiter@websiter.com> wrote in message
> Yes to sp2. Yet the problem persists even if firewall is disabled. Also,
> why would the firewall prevent me from pinging myself.
>
> "telnet-woes" <telnetwoes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > did you by any chance upgrade to XP SP2 lately? It activates the
Windows
> > firewall.
> >
> > "websiter@sbcglobal.net" wrote:
> >
> >> This is really weird.
> >> My PC can obtain a dhcp address and ping every other machine on the
> >> network,
> >> including the router/dhcp server.
> >> It can ping 127.0.0.1 no one can ping the address of my machine
including
> >> me. The same thing applies if I set a static IP address that is
> >> available.
> >>
> >> Running XP home, in a workgroup, all the machines are XP pro except for
> >> one
> >> other XP home.
> >> This machine has networked well for 2 years.
> >> Is the network card going bad? It is integrated into the motherboard.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

You hit it very close! I had already tried that before, but then I disabled
Norton's personal firewall, and the self ping worked. Soon I was examining
the IP trusted range and saw it was no longer appropriate. Once I updated
that range, the firewall works fine and all is good.

Thanks.