what is better AGP or PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crakin

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
i am looking at building a new computer. I have been told to use AGP so it does not take base ram away .. but most online companies use PCI express .. what is better ?

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
i am looking at building a new computer. I have been told to use AGP so it does not take base ram away .. but most online companies use PCI express .. what is better ?

PCI Express is the right thing. And PCI Express cards are usually cheaper than the older AGP cards.

(About your topic. So there is no confusion, PCI and PCI Express is not the same thing)

JoshuaH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I would go for the PCI express, its twice as fast 16x compared to 8x(AGP) unless they use a different speed mesurment system to fool you into thinking its faster 8O , lol. AGP is cheaper but obsolete.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I would go for the PCI express, its twice as fast 16x compared to 8x(AGP) unless they use a different speed mesurment system to fool you into thinking its faster 8O , lol. AGP is cheaper but obsolete.

To say PCI Express is twice as fast as AGP fools alot of people to think PCI Express cards are twice as fast. PCI Express is capable of transfering twice as much data as AGP but video cards rarely uses any more bandwidth than AGP x4.

But PCI Express is the right choice for a new system.

JoshuaH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I knew it!!!, im staying with good old AGP I aint paying another 100 bucks just for the satisfaction of having the latest interface. I have an old ISA 8-bit 128k VGA card, I recomend one of those for you extreme gamers. It still works and i'v tested it on a Pentium III system With WinXP, lol. It works just fine.

chubbza5

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
The fastest PCI-e cards do not saturate AGP 8x bus, thus are not noticably faster than their AGP counterparts, if available.
Yeah, Hes right. Agp and PCIx16 are just about no different in performance right now, It's just PCIX16 is the future, and AGP is on it's way out. They both work, Just PCIx16 will work better in the future.

mystro433

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
As it's been pointed out,AGP is nowhere near capacity but it still
*almost* surprises *some* card makers even consider stopping
AGP production especially when the vast majority are still waiting for AGP capacity to be reached..when they fill x8 we'll talk...otherwise,no compelling reason whatsoever.

.....NE has the aiwx800xt on sale,now that's a agp compelling reason! ;)

scottss

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I know that pci express is better but what if you have an older computer with only pci and agp slots available

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Man.....this thread is from 4 years ago. If you have an old computer with AGP in it and you want to use it for gaming, the best card you can put in it would be the 3870 or 4670, you would get similar performance from either. For future reference, dont post on topics older than a month or two.

Regular PCI is much slower than AGP. It's not really suited for modern graphics cards.

PCI Express x16 blows them both away. But if your only choices are AGP or regular PCI, definitely go with AGP.

nyc2socal

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Well this helped me today. June 13, 2010 !!

I have an old computer running the ASUS P4S8X motherboard from the year 2002 and it is still running great

today. Upgraded to Windows 7 and it still works great!

It only has PCI and a AGP 8x slot. I was thinking of upgrading my video card for Star Craft 2 when it comes

out later this year. I'm gonna look for an AGP card now thanks for the advice here.

I'll run this computer to the ground until I get a new one. I've had this for 8 years, built it myself and has

no issues. All original parts still works thanks to the advice from motherboards.org.

Thanks a lot everyone for your advice.

PC

kyle125

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
PCI ang AGp 8X are just fine...but AGP is great for gaming especially agp=accelerated graphics processor works fine with games...most likely if you hav 1gb agp card which i use now..but seriously, its hard for me too find an agp 1gb video card but thanks to a computer shop whose very last stock of agp 1gb card which was sold to me =D im lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.