Weird Upgrade Problem w/ NIC

Ackerman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Seasons Greetings, All!

I just bought a new HD for my machine. While reinstalling windows on the new drive, it is not recognizing my NIC card. I get the yellow icon in device manager. I boot up using the old HD, everything is fine. So the problem is somewhere in the windows install. Both installs are showing the same ports/irq for the NIC.

BTW, the NIC is an old PCI DLink 530 card. DLink doesn't support the card anymore but the windows setup CD has the drivers for it. Any ideas?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

1st) Why did you not image the HDD?

2nd) Did you install the mobo drivers after you installed Windows? If YES, reinstall the drivers for your NIC card via Divice Manager. Or you just delete the NIC and reboot.

Ackerman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
1st) Why did you not image the HDD?
There is too much crap on the old drive. I was really wanting a fresh install. May end up rethinking that one ...

2nd) Did you install the mobo drivers after you installed Windows?
Yes.

If YES, reinstall the drivers for your NIC card via Divice Manager. Or you just delete the NIC and reboot.
I've tried both methods with no success.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Seasons Greetings, All!

I just bought a new HD for my machine. While reinstalling windows on the new drive, it is not recognizing my NIC card. I get the yellow icon in device manager. I boot up using the old HD, everything is fine. So the problem is somewhere in the windows install. Both installs are showing the same ports/irq for the NIC.

BTW, the NIC is an old PCI DLink 530 card. DLink doesn't support the card anymore but the windows setup CD has the drivers for it. Any ideas?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Don't trust the windows drivers if the NIC isn't working. You will have to download the drivers from somewhere. I am assuming you don't have the disk and DLink no longer offers them for download. Try a third party site like DriverGuide. They often have hard to find copies of drivers that other people have posted.

Then completely remove the card, reboot, and add the driver through device manager.