Windows XP Suddenly Log's off

When I try and log into my home computer running Windows
XP pro, the login screen confirms my password then
automatically logs off.

I've tried safe mode, last known config, etc. Nothing is
letting me in.

Is there any remedy for this? The computer is completely
unusable at this point. I have an ISO XP OS CD that does
not automatically load. I am willing to wipe the whole
hard drive as there is nothing I need on it.

Thanks.

Wow, John this is strange but i am having the same problem right now with one
of my systems. I was rebooting after running my antivirus and spyware
programs. Were you doing anything like that?

"JohnJacob2000" wrote:

> When I try and log into my home computer running Windows
> XP pro, the login screen confirms my password then
> automatically logs off.
>
> I've tried safe mode, last known config, etc. Nothing is
> letting me in.
>
> Is there any remedy for this? The computer is completely
> unusable at this point. I have an ISO XP OS CD that does
> not automatically load. I am willing to wipe the whole
> hard drive as there is nothing I need on it.
>
> Thanks.

Oh, John, check out the reply a bit down by Ramesh. There appears to be a
registry fix. Im gonna try it, but I need to brush up on how to access
regedit from outside the gui.

"JohnJacob2000" wrote:

> When I try and log into my home computer running Windows
> XP pro, the login screen confirms my password then
> automatically logs off.
>
> I've tried safe mode, last known config, etc. Nothing is
> letting me in.
>
> Is there any remedy for this? The computer is completely
> unusable at this point. I have an ISO XP OS CD that does
> not automatically load. I am willing to wipe the whole
> hard drive as there is nothing I need on it.
>
> Thanks.

See section: "Here is the solution to the logon - logoff issue in Windows XP"
http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

Involves Recovery Console procedure first, it allows you to logon to Windows normally. Then a registry edit.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp