OPTIMAL CLUSTER SIZE FOR R.A.I.D FROM RAPTORS IS????????????

METAL

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2004
HEY, I JUST GOT MY W.D. RAPTORS SATA 10,000 R.P.M. DRIVES. I GOT THEM FINALLY TO WORK UNDER R.A.I.D 0 CONFIGURATION AND PUT 16K. IT WAS BLAZING FAST EVEN THOUGH THE O.S. WAS ON SLOWER SEAGATE DRIVE (PROGRAMS WERE ON RAPTORS). NOW I FINALLY GOT THE DRIVERS TO WORK ON O.S. INSTALLATION AND AND NOW THE SYSTEM SEEMS MUCH MUCH SLOWER, JUST LIKE 7,200 R.P.M. DRIVES. FOR THE CLUSTER SIZE. THERE'S THAT CHOICE, 64K. AND 128K. I WAS WONDERING WHICH IS A BETTER CHOICE FOR GAMES. THANKS.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well this may not be much help, and seem a bit redundant to what youve already said... but for games with larger maps (and for primarily dealing with larger files overall), you would generally want a larger disk stripe size, but for smaller files (most files only a few megs or so, like most files in the windows os), you would want a smaller disk stripe size... so you would have a trade off of performance if the os is stored on the raptors, when using a larger stripe size... though the larger mapped games would load faster... but, to answer your question if both the os and games are stored on the raptors... i would choose 64K for the best balance, if your choices are 64K and 128K

RichPLS

Champion
choirbass is right. But I have found setting the stripe too low causes excess striping activity which taxes CPU more than necessary, negating any performance advantage. I suggest 64k as a good size, that or 128k.

pat

Expert
Typing with caps lock in forum is considered like talking loud!. It is not advised and cab be seen as a lack of courtesy. More, it make the text more difficult to read.

TRENDING THREADS