PS for an ATI x800 Pro VC???

lazitroll

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Hello all, nice info on all the posts here so decided to throw my question out there.

I just picked up an ATI x800 Pro (AGP) VC and while reading the manual it stated that ATI recommends 300W PS. I believe that my current PS is the stock (Compaq) 240W.

I'm just wondering if it would be safe to work wth this until i'm able to upgrade my powersupply. And also which wattage of PS should I look at getting?

Current Setup:
Hewlett Packard D530
P4 2.8ghz 800 FSB
1g RAM
Intel Mobo
ATI x800 Pro Video Card (new one)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
HP/Compaq usually have fairly weak power supplies with fairly good failure protection. When it does die, it's less likely to harm other components than most generic replacements.

If you have room for a full-sized power supply I'd recommend the Fortron Source 400 watt, $40 at Newegg.

lazitroll

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Thanks for the info. I was looking on line and the compusa around my area actually has this Antec PS:

SP-500 SmartPower 500 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU Power Supply

It's listed at 99.95 but with 2 $25 rebates (one instant and one mailed) it comes out to 49.95.

Would that be a good deal and is Antec a good brand?

Sorry about the questions, I am a bit ignorant about power supplies.

bobbydamm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
You can find really good PSU's at local computer store in your area if you have a store that specializes in building PC's or repairing them.
(I'm talking the Mom n Pop shop that specializes in PC's)
I bought a 400 watt Xion for $29 and it juices the X800XL nicely.
Comp USA is great but you can find good prices elsewhere.
www.vitalitycomputer.com
www.atd-inc.com
(vitality has cheaper PSU not on website)
are two local shops in my/the Charlotte NC area that specialize in OEM
parts and build their own systems.
Just a Tip.