2GB RAM USERS - NEED UR ASSISTANCE

craige4u

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Folks,

Me planning to upgrade my RAM to 2GB and need some info.

My current specs-
Pentium 3.0Ghz HT
Intel 865GBF Motherboard
256Mb ATI 9800XT Graphics card
400 Watts power supply
512 x 2 Ram DDR400 Mhz
Windows XP Pro

Now first I wana ask, as I am having an powerful graphics card ATI 9800XT 256MB, still in many games the “Setting recommended for your system” the Anti-Aliasing & Anisotropic is always get Disabled.

Is it so that if I increase my RAM- these options will be turned on by default by the game?

In half-life 2 me getting the following default recommended settings:

Model Detail: High
Texture Detail: High
Shader Detail: High
Water Detail: Reflect world
Shadow Detail: High

Anti-Aliasing: None
Anisotropic: Trilinear
Vertical Sync: Disbaled
High Dynamic Range: Full

You guyz with 2GB of RAM can tellme what is the recommended you all are getting within HL2.

In Splinter cell – Chaos theory the Recommended settings me getting are:

Anti-Aliasing: None
Anisotropic: 2x
Shadow Resolution: Medium

Please inform what are the results you are getting with 1GB ram and then with 2GB ram.

NOTE: I do not play BF2 !

I really wonder after having such a high powered graphics card, why still all the options are not getting to the Max. by default ?

M2

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
by today's standards, a 9800 is by no means a "high powered" graphics card... it is now third tier... An X1800, I would consider a "high powered" card.

2 gigs of ram will definately increase performance and map loading times... but that 9800 was the top of the line card for the first counterstrike, Battlefield Vietnam... the games that are now well over a year old.

M2

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
Extra RAM will do nothing for your graphics performance.

True, not directly, but it will enhance the overall system performance and overall gameplay will be better... read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/13/how_much_ram_do_you_really_need/

going from 512 to 1 or 2 gigs WILL increase graphics performance, but as this fellow already has 1 gig... he just needs to get a new generation card if he wants new titles to default to the highest settings.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
...as I am having an powerful graphics card ATI 9800XT 256MB...
As someone said, your card isn't that powerful anymore. Today you can get a card with similar performance for $100-$150. Upgrading your RAM from 1GB to 2GB will not give you any performance boost in most of the games.

The graphics card is the bottleneck in your system when it comes to gaming at higher settings.

I have read that and I'm well aware of the Impact that RAM has on system performance, but additional RAM will NOT affect his systems performance in the graphics arena. His bottleneck for high details in video games is his GPU.

craige4u

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Guyz,

U all sayin me needin an better graphics card to run new games with default setup but HEY! Half-life 2 is more than an year old! an HL2 was even optimized to work with 9800XT !

Even, SP - chaos theory is quite an old game !

So please any genuine help will be appreciate.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Your graphics card is more that two years old. Two years is a long time when it comes to computer hardware. Some years ago it was both the CPU and the graphics card that mattered when it came to gaming. Today it is mostly the graphics card that matters. Since you're not pleased with the graphics in your games the only solution is to buy a new graphics card. There is no other solution.

M2

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
The defualt settings will balance what they think best game play is for what you have. AA and AF may not be enabled by "defualt" even if you have the best card on the market today.

What you should do is, set your graphics settings to what YOU want them, and run FRAPS or some other frame rate program to see how it performs.

Don't take it personal what the game defaults to.

I think so far, we are all trying to give you "genuine help".

You asked how to make the default settings default higher, and getting a top of the line card may (or may not) increase the default settings.

Adding more ram will help your maps load a little quicker, and enable you to Alt+Tab quicker if you need to, but that is about it.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
won't more ram (ie. 2gb) enable user to play game and have about 10 other typical programs running at the same time, in the background, without having to close them? eg. msn messenger type programs, chat sites, firefox windows, anti virus/spyware.

craige4u

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
The defualt settings will balance what they think best game play is for what you have. AA and AF may not be enabled by "defualt" even if you have the best card on the market today.

Alrgt, so now i can know what was the probz even when HL2 is optimized for this specific game.

As fas as increasing the RAM goes my game(hl2) hangs for a sec. or so,
with all the settings to the Max. with 1280x1024 Resolution and hence me wana upgrade but now i guess there is hardly any point in upgrading the memory as i doubt it will fix the problem.

Thank ya all for ya replies,
cHeers!

TRENDING THREADS