Sign in with
Your question

Cant play DVD's I've tried everything I can think of

Last response: in Storage
December 25, 2005 10:51:54 AM

Hello. Some may remember a few weeks ago I posted, saying I couldnt get my Lite On SOHO1629S to play DVD properly, I wasnt getting sound.

Someone suggested plugging the audio cable in, and while I thought it was in, I opened my case to check and the end going to the soundcard had been removed, i must of taken it out when I went to replace my RAM. Anyways, i plugged it in, stuck a brought and paid for legal, region 4 DVD in, and not only was I getting no sound, but no picture. I downloaded and installed powerDVD 4 off limewire (Wouldnt usually do this, but my copy of five that came with my DVD burner doesnt work for some reason. Just reads as blank disk.)

Anyways, PowerDVD 2 doesnt play it at all, and WIndows Media Player 10 just doesnt go past a black screen, wont go to full screen, and says its playing the menu down the bottom.

My next thought was driver failure, and I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, and reinstalled the drivers. Same thing as above. WTF?

Please help, I dont know what else I can do to fix it. The drive does everything BUT play DVD's. :x

More about : play dvd

December 30, 2005 8:57:05 PM

Probably you have a bad codec installed or a codec conflict of some sort. I'm not an expert on this stuff but I think you should do a google search on removing codecs.
December 30, 2005 9:15:14 PM

Try this:

Unistall ALL your Codecs

IF you find real player on you PC slap yourself around for a while

Then download VLC player, it is free and legal etc, etc and won't land you in prison.

IF you can see the vob files on the dvd itself then i might be a codec problem but if you can see the files then VLC will have no problem playing the disk. you could always get something to unlock the DVD drives region specificity.
I would advise against playing the DVD in the drive, for some reason it lowers their lifetime dramatically (I mean the Drive). I would advise that you copy the vob files out and play them off your Hdd.
Related resources
January 9, 2006 6:15:42 PM

try upgrading to power dvd 5 or 6

media play doesn't even come close to smooth dvd playback on my machine.
power dvd 5 rocks right through it.
it would likely have all the encoders you need right in the software.

good luck
January 10, 2006 2:37:28 PM

VLC IS THE KING!

BUt then again there is that irriating thing about not being able to get an exact position on the progress bar...
!