Cannot renew Ip address

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have a d-link router "DIR 825 " I come out of my brighthouse modem to the router and go across the room to a netgear switch. I have one computer that won't find a ip address when coming out of the netgear switch. I have to run straight from the D-link router to the pc to get on line. The other PC works fine coming out of the switch. Is there something I can check to get the one pc to recognize the IP address when coming out of the netgear switch

furious_cruzer

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
try replacing the cable or try plugging them in, then shutting down your PC's, turn off all modems/routers then one at a time turn on the routers/modems in the order they are pluged in then boot 1 PC at a time,

Why are you trying to connect your computers to the modem via the router and the switch both? Unless I'm mistaken, the D-link router should perform as a router/switch in one leaving no real reason to use the netgear switch. Usually the less pieces of hardware the less chance for conflict. If one pc is working with the switch and the other is not, it sounds like a configuration issue. The modem should be connected to the ethernet port labeled "internet" on the back of the router. The router should be set to assign the ip addresses through DHCP and both computers should be set to acquire an ip address automatically. Try checking Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center and click "internet options" on the lower left. Click on the Connections tab, make sure there's a tick in front of "never dial a connection", click on LAN Settings and under automatic configuration click "Automatically detect settings". Leave the other options unchecked on that screen.

Under Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network Connections, right click on the LAN connection you're using (if there are multiple connections) and choose "properties". Under the Network tab, scroll down through the list of protocols for Internet Protocol Version 6 and version 4 both. Click once on each and choose "properties" and ensure that both of these are set to obtain the IP and DNS server addresses automatically. This is to let the DHCP server in the router assign the addresses and allowing both pc's to accept this. Sounds like in your case the pc that won't connect may have a setting in either of these areas that's causing it not to connect. If this doesn't help, I would try eliminating the switch and just using the router as I think it would be a much cleaner and efficient setup. Best of luck.