Subnetting

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I have a network with 172.15.9.0 / 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. I'm quickly
running out of space.
2) What is the best way to change this in order to accomodate 8 times as
much devices.
3) How do I set it up on the server. Do I need to add a second adaptor to my
DHCP server and connect it to a switch for each subnet? Is there an article
that would not only explain subnetting but would also explain a step by step
in a Windows 2003 environment?
Thank you
1 answer Last reply
More about subnetting
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

    Subnetting does not necessarily allow you to have more devices on a network.
    You can't have more devices than you have actual ip addresses. What
    subnetting allows you to do is split up the number of ip address you have
    into different subnets. So instead of having one single network where all
    the devices use ip addresses from a single network address , you can have
    several different networks, and subnet a single class c network address.

    If you have more than 254 devices that you want to accommodate on your
    network, then you should look into something like Network Address
    Translation.

    --
    Louise Bowman
    (MSFT)
    "Vic Abrahamian" <VicAbrahamian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a network with 172.15.9.0 / 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. I'm quickly
    > running out of space.
    > 2) What is the best way to change this in order to accomodate 8 times as
    > much devices.
    > 3) How do I set it up on the server. Do I need to add a second adaptor to
    my
    > DHCP server and connect it to a switch for each subnet? Is there an
    article
    > that would not only explain subnetting but would also explain a step by
    step
    > in a Windows 2003 environment?
    > Thank you

Windows