System Build Problemo . . . :) - One down, more to go!

RichPLS

Champion
I posted earlier in the week, the system I ordered.
Asus A8R-MVP
Opteron 175
HiS X1800XT
2x - 74gig Raptor for RAID 0
Corsair eXpert DDR RAM 2x512meg
TT BigWater SE - CPU cooling
LianLi PC-60Plus
Antec TruePower 550watt PSU
Dell 2405FPW LCD Monitor

Got all my parts in, assembled, but problemo!
When I hit power button, nothing, no fan spin up, no activity just as if it were not plugged in.
The PSU works, I had it running in my Prescott system till yesterday when I pulled it.
As far as I can tell, all power connections are made...
I have 9 mobo standoffs, and installed exactly 9.
Any clues as to next step to try to pinpoint?

is there an indicator that shows power to the mobo ie. LED?

when you flip the switch on the power supply off and on again do the fans move?

did you check the connector comming from the power botton at the mobo, maybe move one over. I did it before.

pat

Expert
Maybe the motherboard dont sense pulse from the CPU fan since you are using liquid and don't start. If, you look in your manual, there is maybe a key to hold while booting to prevent that....

pat

Expert
Maybe the motherboard dont sense pulse from the CPU fan since you are using liquid and don't start. If, you look in your manual, there is maybe a key to hold while booting to prevent that....

RichPLS

Champion
I will check on whether no cpu fan is causing this. Thanks.
Nothing happened with power at all, no fans, no lights, no beeps, I kinda suspected the clicky switch on the case, but it is solid state and sealed. I will go double verify pins are indeed lined up for the case switch. Thanks again.

endyen

Splendid
You can avoid using the case power button, by putting a jumper on the correct pins, then pulling them off when the system, starts.
Did anything seem amlittle tough to get in?
Try without any optical drives, hdd drives or add in cards (other than gfx of course)
If it still doesnt work, try with only 1 stick of ram, then with none, then with no gfx card, but one stick of ram.

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Try this: install everything as normal but pull the mobo out and place it on some padding with a static bag on top. Then push the power button. If everything works as normal, then your board was just shorted. if it doesnt work, then most likely your mobo is DOA. I have had the same problem as you have had. 9.9 times out of 10, its just a shorted mobo. Good luck!

Max_C

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
This may be overly simple, but I thought it was worth a mention. According to the manual for your mobo, it requires 3 power connections from the power supply. There the EATXPWR, the ATX12V and the the EZ_PLUG, which looks like a standard IDE drive power connector to me.

See http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8R-MVP/e2319_a8r-mvp.pdf
and go to page 2-24.

Make sure all 3 of those are connected. I had a similar problem once... back in the days when ATX12V first came out and I didn't know about it. Funny how you can never get these PCs to work without electricity! :lol:

I also strongly second the above recommendation of building the PC outside the case. You really want to eliminate grounding as an issue.

Max.

RichPLS

Champion
OK, Christmas distracted me from this build, but I did try it with 2 power connectors (minus EZ Plug) and with, same result.
After work today I will try it outside of case, but I am pretty sure it is not shorted, but I could be mistaken and will check.
Thanks alot, guys.

RichPLS

Champion
WooHoo! I got Power!!!!
It turned out I did have the power switch one pin off!
Now on to configuring BIOS and RAID 0 array on the two 74gig Raptorz!

I am selecting 32k stripe size.
Any suggestions, options are 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k and 64k.

It defaulted to 16k, but I thought 32k would remove some activity off the CPU and allow for faster larger file transfers, while still allowing for relatively small file speed.

What do you think optimal stripe size is?

I will be using PC for AutoCAD, movie editing and gaming.

pat

Expert
WooHoo! I got Power!!!!
It turned out I did have the power switch one pin off!
Now on to configuring BIOS and RAID 0 array on the two 74gig Raptorz!

I am selecting 32k stripe size.
Any suggestions, options are 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k and 64k.

It defaulted to 16k, but I thought 32k would remove some activity off the CPU and allow for faster larger file transfers, while still allowing for relatively small file speed.

What do you think optimal stripe size is?

I will be using PC for AutoCAD, movie editing and gaming.

8O :D :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

sorry ... 64k should do good too, that's what I use........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: