CPU Upgrade, need you thoughts and opinions

JoshuaH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I am considering upgrading my AthlonXP 1800 @ 2.1ghz to a Sempron 2500 or 2400, I will definitly overclock the Sempron to 2.1ghz or higher. My system also only supports 333mhz bus. Would this be a good upgrade? I would like to keep this system for as long as possible and I would like to run Windows Vista when it comes out. Also I would like to know about overclocking the Sempron, what kindof speeds can it take without becoming unstable or overheating?

SYSTEM SPECS

Mobo ASUS A7V8X-X
CPU AthlonXP 1800 @ 2.1ghz 333 fsb
Memory 768mb DDR333 Kingston RAM 2.0-2-2-6 ?
GFX GeForce 4 MX 440 64meg (will also upgrade to AGP8x GeForce FX or 6600)
HDD WD 120g 7800/7600? rmp 8meg buffer

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Honestly, i would not get a sempron if i were you. My friend had one for awhile (2800+), then he bought an athlon xp 3200+ and his frames in Black & White 2 went from 12fps to 20... Maybe he just had a bad sempron... but the as far as i know none of them have over 256 L2 Cache either, and they just seem to perform far below their AMD brothers. Just my opinion, but i guess if you dont wanna run much in the way of games, they're okay... not sure which one to get, but i would get the highest model you could (especially if you are not switching from socket A). I still think you would need to go socket 754 at least... again, just my opinion.

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Actually, not all of them are 64-bit. Some are 32-bit (for socket A and socket 754). You would just have to check your BIOS version to make sure that it supports Semprons. Easiest way to do that is to look in your motherboard manual, or if need be on the motherboard manufacturer's website.

baracuda73

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
If you want your upgrade to last the longest for you i would recomend about a 3500+ athlon 64 or a 3800+ athlon64 X2. and upgrade your mobo to PCI-E.

JoshuaH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I dont want to have to do a major upgrade, just the CPU and Graphics card, my system performs extremely well considering what it is. It runs Doom 3 at an exeptable framerate and my memory timings have been tweaked to the max and everything is extrmemly stable and cool. I would like to run windows vista and i noticed AthlonXP is not on the compatable list, only Sempron. Would the Sempron(Socket A) offer better performance than AthlonXP 3000(Socket A) because i was considering the AthlonXP 3000 instead. I was also considering a 1gig stick of ram so i can have a total of 1,768 megs. The CPU, GFX, and mem would be much cheaper than getting a new nForce4/Athlon 64 system and a PCIe GFX card

ishbog

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
cant do it. with everything switching to 64-bit, sli, pci express, and everything else, you will simply have to upgrade your whole system. thats what happened to me, too. so wait a bit, save some more $$$$ and get a new sys.

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If you can use the XP 3000+ i would do that. The Semprons just dont perform up to the level of the Athlons. That is actually the same processor i used until my recent upgrade to a 64 3700+. It is a very decent cpu if you want to stay on the 32-bit side of things. The only problem is that the 64's are actually cheaper than the XP's now! A XP 3000+ retails for $239.99 on www.zipzoomfly.com ........ for less you could get a 64 3700+ ($211.40). I'm not entirely sure why that is, but i think it is because AMD is phasing out their x86 chips, and if they make it expensive, then no one is going to want them anymore. (i.e. no demand=no need to supply). Just my thought. If you want to keep your AGP graphics for now, i would recommend the ASRock Dual SATA2 motherboard. It has AGP and PCI-e, plus it is socket 939. You could pick up the motherboard, a 64 (3000+ or so), and even a decent agp graphics card (6600GT) for about $300-$350 or so. With that, you would notice a sizeable increase in performance. (I ran doom3 with a 6600GT and XP3000+ with ultra high settings, 1024X768, 2XAA, averaging 50fps). If your budget is less than that, then you could start there, and work your way down model by model until it meets your budget (such as a 6600, and a 64 2800+). Hope that helps you.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
There comes a point when fixin' up that old Chevy costs more than it's worth. When you're done you have an old Chevy that runs a little better.

I know you don't WANT to replace your mobo, but IMO you will just be wasting your money until you do. That socket A board is 2 (soon to be 3) generations old.

You could run Vista...in 32bit if it supports that. There are no skt A CPUs that are 64bit and you, my friend have a socket A mobo. Minimum you have to upgrade is mobo/cpu to truly run Vista. Please take the OC questions to the OC forum. :wink:

ishbog

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Vista is a 64-bit OS and will not run on a 32-bit processor. I know this, I got to test some stuff @ microsoft with Vista.

wait a few months till you have more money, and do the full upgrade. only way.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Vista is a 64-bit OS and will not run on a 32-bit processor. I know this, I got to test some stuff @ microsoft with Vista.

wait a few months till you have more money, and do the full upgrade. only way.

No, you are wrong. Vista will be released for both 64-bit and 32-bit CPUs. I work for a IT corporation so I know this for sure.

ishbog

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
ah. good move on Microsoft's part. I always though it dumb to only release to the 64-bit community.

i just re-read your system specs, and they are truly horrid.

upgrade=good
possible perf. jump, but your XP is clocked decently high.
the move from a MX 440(really a GeForce2 overclocked) to an FX or 6600(6600gt is the ONLY thing to consider for your agp slot)
Slightly better performance in modern games.

upgrade=bad
still 32-bit
no dual-core support
no sli support
no pci-express support
still only socket A processors, which are no longer made
no SATA support, i think
limited support for anything in the future
no support for new game technologys such as parallax mapping, specularity, HDR, and more
any new games will run horribly -- even current games like FEAR

new sys=good
Support for:
SLI,
SATA,
64-bit,
dual core,
PCI-Express,
New graphics cards,
future graphics cards,
SATA I-II,
DDR2,
more stable, newer, improved motherboard
more stable overclocking
overall better technology

new sys=bad
more $$$
a bit of research, but thats why we're here

if you are willing to consider building a new system, just CONSIDER, make a new topic and just say what you will be doing, and how much money you want to spend. dont even think you need alot of $$, just post how much you have to spend on a new PC. We will help you out.

BlueMoonKid

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Just what I like to see . .a socket A diehard fan !!!! I too love the socket A system and motherboards. . . . but . .they cant keep up or compete with the newer CPUs (AMD 754 / 939). If ya feed your old charging bull wheaties it still cant keep up with a race horse !!!! Now to face facts:

Socket A has been maxed out with AGP x8.

SLI and PCI-e video requires 754 / 939 CPUs

Newer games require 754 / 939

SATA can only be had on a socket A with a PCI interface card

If you like games that are not the newest - -ignore progress and be happy with the socket A systems . .they work well

VISTA ? I have read about it 20 times. It has nothing to be desired and a whole lot of garbage in it to be avoided . . I dont intend on using it until Win XP is an antique (years perhaps from now) More MS BS . .yuck !!!!

JoshuaH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
All your thoughts and opinions were very usefull. I think I will just wait till 2007/2008 and buy a nice system. I just hope that I can still use my VGA flat panel monitor cuz I dont wanna buy a new monitor with DVI support, and i also dont want to be forced to use the Trusted Computing crap, i'll never upgrade if that happens.

BlueMoonKid

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Yes perhaps you are going the best route . .and all is not lost because you can still transfer your keyboard / mouse, floppy, CDROMs, and monitor toa new system. That is a headstart with a few less expenses. The hard part is if you buy a motherboard and dont get to use it till ya get a CPU and memory . . . ouch. But it is better than buying a slightly better system and wanting more immediately.

I like independant computing . . not tied to Microsoft or the Internet. It is nice when are not "held hostage" by someone else. Why I like single player games . . . vs multiplayer online games.

Take care and good luck with your future system. !!!!!!!