Canon I860 will not print

Hi everyone...

I have a refurbished i860 Canon inkjet that I bought off Ebay that will not
put a drop of ink on the page. Actually, I have 2, since Canon sent me a
replacement (as well as a new print head) that also will not print. I've set
up 5 other Canons in recent months with no problems. I've swapped the
cartridges with another unit and they work there. I can't believe that I
could possible have gotten 2 printers that absolutely won't print. No ink is
being placed on the page. When I run a print head alignment, the printers
churn for a while and I get an error message. There is no tape or other
obstruction that I can see. Tech support has been kind, but they don't know
what's up. I'm about to return the swapped printer to Canon, but I thought
I'd ask around here before I chuck the other one out the door. Any ideas?
Thanks...

Dennis
11 answers Last reply
More about canon i860 print

    Have you tried swapping the print head into another unit. Even though the
    cartridges work that does not mean the printhead is fine. I am not sure but
    have to assume that you tried another printer with the same USB cable and it
    worked fine. So that being the truth it would mean 2 printers that have
    similar problems and the cable is fine. Or the print head is clogged on both
    units. I believe you can remove those and try cleaning with a little warm
    water and a paper towel. Just gently dab the nozzles to clean. Someone can
    correct me if that is not correct.

    Regards,
    John O.

    "Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone...
    >
    > I have a refurbished i860 Canon inkjet that I bought off Ebay that will
    > not put a drop of ink on the page. Actually, I have 2, since Canon sent me
    > a replacement (as well as a new print head) that also will not print. I've
    > set up 5 other Canons in recent months with no problems. I've swapped the
    > cartridges with another unit and they work there. I can't believe that I
    > could possible have gotten 2 printers that absolutely won't print. No ink
    > is being placed on the page. When I run a print head alignment, the
    > printers churn for a while and I get an error message. There is no tape or
    > other obstruction that I can see. Tech support has been kind, but they
    > don't know what's up. I'm about to return the swapped printer to Canon,
    > but I thought I'd ask around here before I chuck the other one out the
    > door. Any ideas? Thanks...
    >
    > Dennis

    "Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<a5Tdd.15971$3g7.12551@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
    > Hi everyone...
    >
    > I have a refurbished i860 Canon inkjet that I bought off Ebay that will not
    > put a drop of ink on the page.

    Dennis,

    Try the nozzle test in free standing mode. On my i960 the nozzle test
    is initiated by holding down the resume/reset button until the
    indicator light blinks twice, then release before the light can blink
    3 times. If this does not work on your i860, look in your manual
    under nozzle test and there should be a small paragraph about how to
    do the manual nozzle test.

    This should print ink from every ink cartridge so would be a good test
    to use.
    Skylark

    Dennis Gordon wrote:
    > Hi everyone...
    >
    > I have a refurbished i860 Canon inkjet that I bought off Ebay that will not
    > put a drop of ink on the page. Actually, I have 2, since Canon sent me a
    > replacement (as well as a new print head) that also will not print. I've set
    > up 5 other Canons in recent months with no problems. I've swapped the
    > cartridges with another unit and they work there. I can't believe that I
    > could possible have gotten 2 printers that absolutely won't print. No ink is
    > being placed on the page. When I run a print head alignment, the printers
    > churn for a while and I get an error message. There is no tape or other
    > obstruction that I can see. Tech support has been kind, but they don't know
    > what's up. I'm about to return the swapped printer to Canon, but I thought
    > I'd ask around here before I chuck the other one out the door. Any ideas?
    > Thanks...
    >
    > Dennis

    Have you tried connecting the new printer to one of the machines where
    you've set up the previous five printers?
    Have you tried connecting any of the previous five printers to the
    machine where you're having the problem?

    Bernie

    These were 2 brand new sealed print heads. I doubt that they could both come
    out of the bags clogged, and even if they were, wouldn't I get at least a
    drop or two out of some of the nozzles? Pages come out totally blank. I've
    tried both USB and parallel connections, as well as running the printer self
    test with the same (nothing) results. The only clue I have is the error
    message I receive when doing a print head alignment. Otherwise both printers
    act like they're printing. I've never had that happen. I kept thinking it
    was some painfully obvious mistake on my part (piece of tape, etc.) but
    after the 2nd unit did the same, I have no idea what's happening. The
    printhead and cartridge assembly is so straighforward, I'd assumed it was an
    electrical problem. That's why Canon overnighted me another unit. I never
    expected that one to do the same thing. It's a mystery to me...

    "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > Have you tried swapping the print head into another unit. Even though the
    > cartridges work that does not mean the printhead is fine. I am not sure
    but
    > have to assume that you tried another printer with the same USB cable and
    it
    > worked fine. So that being the truth it would mean 2 printers that have
    > similar problems and the cable is fine. Or the print head is clogged on
    both
    > units. I believe you can remove those and try cleaning with a little warm
    > water and a paper towel. Just gently dab the nozzles to clean. Someone can
    > correct me if that is not correct.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John O.
    >
    > "Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone...
    > >
    > > I have a refurbished i860 Canon inkjet that I bought off Ebay that will
    > > not put a drop of ink on the page. Actually, I have 2, since Canon sent
    me
    > > a replacement (as well as a new print head) that also will not print.
    I've
    > > set up 5 other Canons in recent months with no problems. I've swapped
    the
    > > cartridges with another unit and they work there. I can't believe that I
    > > could possible have gotten 2 printers that absolutely won't print. No
    ink
    > > is being placed on the page. When I run a print head alignment, the
    > > printers churn for a while and I get an error message. There is no tape
    or
    > > other obstruction that I can see. Tech support has been kind, but they
    > > don't know what's up. I'm about to return the swapped printer to Canon,
    > > but I thought I'd ask around here before I chuck the other one out the
    > > door. Any ideas? Thanks...
    > >
    > > Dennis

    I've done the free standing test about 50 times...;-) Nothing. I'm pretty
    good at getting things to work, but this has me bamboozled...

    > Try the nozzle test in free standing mode. On my i960 the nozzle test
    > is initiated by holding down the resume/reset button until the
    > indicator light blinks twice, then release before the light can blink
    > 3 times. If this does not work on your i860, look in your manual
    > under nozzle test and there should be a small paragraph about how to
    > do the manual nozzle test.
    >
    > This should print ink from every ink cartridge so would be a good test
    > to use.
    > Skylark

    It's not the computers. I've done the free standing test many times (holding
    the resume button 'til it blinks twice). If it was clogged or smeared, I
    could understanf; but to get nothing after 50 tries is ridiculous...:-).
    Especially when I was so sure the relacement was going to work...

    > These were 2 brand new sealed print heads. I doubt that they could both
    > come
    > out of the bags clogged, and even if they were, wouldn't I get at least a
    > drop or two out of some of the nozzles? Pages come out totally blank. I've
    > tried both USB and parallel connections, as well as running the printer
    > self
    > test with the same (nothing) results. The only clue I have is the error
    > message I receive when doing a print head alignment. Otherwise both
    > printers
    > act like they're printing. I've never had that happen. I kept thinking it
    > was some painfully obvious mistake on my part (piece of tape, etc.) but
    > after the 2nd unit did the same, I have no idea what's happening. The
    > printhead and cartridge assembly is so straighforward, I'd assumed it was
    > an
    > electrical problem. That's why Canon overnighted me another unit. I never
    > expected that one to do the same thing. It's a mystery to me...

    I am going to assume you were first sent a replacement printhead and when
    that did not work, called back and a replacement printer was sent out. If
    that is the case, and this has not been done yet, contact canon support
    again and request a replacement printer *with* printhead be sent out. The
    reason I say this is that it is very possible that the original printer may
    have an electrical problem in the carriage which damaged its original
    printhead. You then received the replacement placing it in this same printer
    damaging it also. Calling tech support their next best assumption would be,
    must be a bad printer as you already received a printhead so a printer is
    sent out. Unfortunately both printheads are dead from being placed in the
    original printer. It is rare but I have seen it before in printers and can
    see how it could be missed over the phone.

    That's an interesting theory, and you have described the scenario correctly.
    I'll wait until Canon receives the original printer back, although at this
    point I'm a bit embarassed to call them yet again... but I'll get over it.
    Thanks for the suggestion...

    > I am going to assume you were first sent a replacement printhead and when
    > that did not work, called back and a replacement printer was sent out. If
    > that is the case, and this has not been done yet, contact canon support
    > again and request a replacement printer *with* printhead be sent out. The
    > reason I say this is that it is very possible that the original printer
    may
    > have an electrical problem in the carriage which damaged its original
    > printhead. You then received the replacement placing it in this same
    printer
    > damaging it also. Calling tech support their next best assumption would
    be,
    > must be a bad printer as you already received a printhead so a printer is
    > sent out. Unfortunately both printheads are dead from being placed in the
    > original printer. It is rare but I have seen it before in printers and can
    > see how it could be missed over the phone.

    Why wait and why be embarrassed, you have a product under warranty and
    deserve to have a working unit. They understand that and sometimes the odd
    things are not caught so quickly on the phone.

    "Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<Cjled.22834$Qv5.1591@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
    > It's not the computers. I've done the free standing test many times (holding
    > the resume button 'til it blinks twice). If it was clogged or smeared, I
    > could understanf; but to get nothing after 50 tries is ridiculous...:-).
    > Especially when I was so sure the relacement was going to work...

    There is no point in testing with computers until the free standing
    nozzle test works. Sounds like your printer needs repair.

    Well I was being just a bit ironic. Of course I'll call them, but it does
    get wearying going round with the tech support...

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > Why wait and why be embarrassed, you have a product under warranty and
    > deserve to have a working unit. They understand that and sometimes the odd
    > things are not caught so quickly on the phone.
    >

    > "Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    >> That's an interesting theory, and you have described the scenario
    >> correctly.
    >> I'll wait until Canon receives the original printer back, although at
    >> this
    >> point I'm a bit embarassed to call them yet again... but I'll get over
    >> it.
    >> Thanks for the suggestion...
    >>

    >>> I am going to assume you were first sent a replacement printhead and
    >>> when
    >>> that did not work, called back and a replacement printer was sent out.
    >>> If
    >>> that is the case, and this has not been done yet, contact canon support
    >>> again and request a replacement printer *with* printhead be sent out.
    >>> The
    >>> reason I say this is that it is very possible that the original printer
    >> may
    >>> have an electrical problem in the carriage which damaged its original
    >>> printhead. You then received the replacement placing it in this same
    >> printer
    >>> damaging it also. Calling tech support their next best assumption would
    >> be,
    >>> must be a bad printer as you already received a printhead so a printer
    >>> is
    >>> sent out. Unfortunately both printheads are dead from being placed in
    >>> the
    >>> original printer. It is rare but I have seen it before in printers and
    >>> can
    >>> see how it could be missed over the phone.

Printers Canon Peripherals