ATI 850XT, anyone know how to control the fan speed.

Hi, i was wondering if it is possible to control the fan speed that the ATI 850XT has. I know when i restart the computer the fan really spins fast. But when i am playing games, catalyst complains that it is over heating, so i was wondering if it is possible to speed the fan up by some option in catalyst or any other way. I looked through catalyst and i didn't see any options that does that, all i see is how hot is the cpu and the speed of it. So if anyone knows please do tell. thank you.
9 answers Last reply
More about 850xt control speed
  1. Sounds like bad ariflow inside the case.. Any GC should cool itself properly, provided it can get air from outside the case. What case do you have? How many fans in it?
  2. Hi, sorry about the delay for replying. The case that i have is called Thermaltake SOPRANO VB1000BWS, if you enter this in newegg.com website, you should be able to see pictures of it. Basically it has three fans, two 120mm fans and i belive 90 mm fan. 120 mm fan is placed on the back, and another 120 mm fan is put in the front with a filter infront of it. and the 90mm is a little bit to the right of the cpu, its on the side of the case. I have one dvd drive, one harddrive, and the other essential hardware.

thank you.
  3. Quote:
    Hi, i was wondering if it is possible to control the fan speed that the ATI 850XT has. I know when i restart the computer the fan really spins fast. But when i am playing games, catalyst complains that it is over heating, so i was wondering if it is possible to speed the fan up by some option in catalyst or any other way. I looked through catalyst and i didn't see any options that does that, all i see is how hot is the cpu and the speed of it. So if anyone knows please do tell. thank you.

It would be possible to do this, you would have to remove the three pin fan plug from the vid card itself and use a 3-4 molex adapter and run the fan straight (or use a speed knob)
    This would work, but I'm pretty sure Catalyst would cry about it! :)
  4. do you think if i connected the 3pin to the molex that you mention that the speed of the fun would run at maxium, or does the the fan have to be controled by the sensior?
  5. Quote:

You can use ATI tool freeware to control your fan speed , among many other things. But it seems you have a general overheathing problem in your computer
  6. Quote:
    do you think if i connected the 3pin to the molex that you mention that the speed of the fun would run at maxium, or does the the fan have to be controled by the sensior?

It would run at it's full speed

You should find out what your case's ambient temp is first because the card may not be the problem, if the case is full of hot air, the fan will just blow hot air onto the card
  7. freeware, can you reference me some, or are you talking about ati software?
    thank you.
  8. You can download from this site:

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Ther is also a post about controlling yor card's fan speed

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=7124
  9. Hi, does anyone know if there are fans that fit where the cd-rom is. if there is any, is there a general name for them so i can search for it. Thank you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Fan Speed Catalyst ATI Graphics