    "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message news:1111178452.22809@forums.simradar.com...
    Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:40:47 -0600

    A year and a half ago I bought a new Dell Dimension 2350. I had
    no idea at the time I would be getting back into Flight
    Simulator, so didn't pay attention to video or audio options.
    Onboard audio and video were ok for FS2002, but for FS9 I
    bought a new video card. Options were limited to PCI. All
    right, still having a lot of fun.

    What PCI video card did you decide on, David? Just curious.

    This afternoon I was looking at getting better speakers --
    nothing radical, just something with a subwoofer.

    Thanks for the reminder! I have a subwoofer and four speakers in the
    closet that I was going to hook up to this one. Wait... I'm back.
    Yes much better! I can actually hear those bass drums. Thanks!

    Happened to glance over at all of the ubercheap sound cards at
    NewEgg.

    Question: if I install an audio card and disable the onboard
    audio, will that free up resources that can be used for more
    fps? Cf. disabling onboard video, which can free up RAM (64Mb
    in my case).

    Go to START -> RUN and then type in:

    dxdiag

    Wait till is ready and click on the Sound tab. Where is the slider?
    As far as to the right as possible? That's good unless you're having
    sound problems. Otherwise you need to slide it to the left and time
    to think about another sound card.

    The next trick is to hit the Q key while flying under FS9. Did the
    frame rates get better? Another reason to think about a new sound
    card.

    No guarantees from me though. As there are too many factors at play
    here to say with any certainly.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

Audio Video Video Games