Will audio card improve fps?

Last response: in Video Games
March 18, 2005 5:40:47 PM

A year and a half ago I bought a new Dell Dimension 2350. I had no idea
at the time I would be getting back into Flight Simulator, so didn't
pay attention to video or audio options. Onboard audio and video were
ok for FS2002, but for FS9 I bought a new video card. Options were
limited to PCI. All right, still having a lot of fun.

This afternoon I was looking at getting better speakers -- nothing
radical, just something with a subwoofer. Happened to glance over at
all of the ubercheap sound cards at NewEgg.

Question: if I install an audio card and disable the onboard audio,
will that free up resources that can be used for more fps? Cf.
disabling onboard video, which can free up RAM (64Mb in my case).

More about : audio card improve fps

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 5:28:24 AM

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:40:47 -0600

A year and a half ago I bought a new Dell Dimension 2350. I had
no idea at the time I would be getting back into Flight
Simulator, so didn't pay attention to video or audio options.
Onboard audio and video were ok for FS2002, but for FS9 I
bought a new video card. Options were limited to PCI. All
right, still having a lot of fun.

What PCI video card did you decide on, David? Just curious.

This afternoon I was looking at getting better speakers --
nothing radical, just something with a subwoofer.

Thanks for the reminder! I have a subwoofer and four speakers in the
closet that I was going to hook up to this one. Wait... I'm back.
Yes much better! I can actually hear those bass drums. Thanks!

Happened to glance over at all of the ubercheap sound cards at
NewEgg.

Question: if I install an audio card and disable the onboard
audio, will that free up resources that can be used for more
fps? Cf. disabling onboard video, which can free up RAM (64Mb
in my case).

Go to START -> RUN and then type in:

dxdiag

Wait till is ready and click on the Sound tab. Where is the slider?
As far as to the right as possible? That's good unless you're having
sound problems. Otherwise you need to slide it to the left and time
to think about another sound card.

The next trick is to hit the Q key while flying under FS9. Did the
frame rates get better? Another reason to think about a new sound
card.

No guarantees from me though. As there are too many factors at play
here to say with any certainly.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
!