Wireless Problem

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

I have an IBM Think Pad 40R laptop. I was using the IBM softwear for
wireless connection both at work and at home with no problems. Two weeks ago
I updated my laptop to windows service pack 2. Since the IBM wireless
program and the windows wireless program in sp2 are incompatible, we had to
dump the IBM wireless softwear. I am now using the windows wireless
softwear. Since doing this, I can use the wireless at work but can not use
the wireless at home. We have a Westell router and the firewall is set up
OK, but no matter what we do, we can not get the laptop to work wireless at
home. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help
anyone can give.

Malke

Taz wrote:

> I have an IBM Think Pad 40R laptop. I was using the IBM softwear for
> wireless connection both at work and at home with no problems. Two
> weeks ago
> I updated my laptop to windows service pack 2. Since the IBM wireless
> program and the windows wireless program in sp2 are incompatible, we
> had to
> dump the IBM wireless softwear. I am now using the windows wireless
> softwear. Since doing this, I can use the wireless at work but can
> not use
> the wireless at home. We have a Westell router and the firewall is
> set up OK, but no matter what we do, we can not get the laptop to work
> wireless at
> home. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any
> help anyone can give.

Go to IBM's tech support site (now Lenovo) and you will find updated
software for the wireless connection. I've got it running on my IBM
XPSP2 machine as well as several clients' machines. There is a rather
helpful Software Update program also that you can install for more
automatic gathering of updated software for your machine.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers