RIAA's Copyright Lawsuit Budget Drastically Reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
As much as I hate the RIAA I find this just so wrong.

Mitch Bainwol received a salary of $1.9 million, down from $2.0 million.

While people lose there jobs the CEO had to take a 100k dollar pay cut omg how will he continue to live off such meager wages.

I bet half the people working for the RIAA doing grunt work (not lawyers and the such) are doing it because there just arnt any jobs around right now. Any grown up will tell you might hate your job you might loath your job but if it feeds the wife in kids then u gotta do it.

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
While people lose there jobs the CEO had to take a 100k dollar pay cut omg how will he continue to live off such meager wages.

He may have to resort to downloading his music illegally with that big of a pay cut...

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Former CE)? I'm assuming CEO.
So he got a 100k/yr cut and he quit the company. Nice move, I mean how can you live with just $1.9mil/yr right?

Oh, RIAA, cry me a river....
These would be the only people I will be happy to lose their jobs. Not being mean or anything, but that might actually give them a chance to pick up something decent for a living.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Tells me just how dirty they are. Fired 40 people so 9 people can earn half of what the company pays in employees. Its like a cut and run strategy, they definetly are not in it for the long haul or to "protect" ip holders.

So they're starting to realize that the lawyers are the real robbers in the big picture?

I mean, all that money put into emerging bands as a campaign and/or concerts money could have a big ROI and such. Even more, investing that in educative campaigns might even pay more in the long run.

Hope people in the big suing corporations could understand that /sigh

Cheers!

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
It was never about protecting IP. It was always about money, power and fear. You don't file $1mill+ lawsuits against people just barely "making ends meet" if you actually intend to "protect IP".... The RIAA is nothing but a legitimized terrorist group. They use high figure lawsuits as an attempt to scare people into bowing down to them. Now they're losing money because it's not working.

@Toms....can you give HotRoderx 2 thumbs up to make up for my misclick? Wasn't paying attention and clicked the wrong (thumbs down) button. Was supposed to be a thumbs up.

@HotRoderx, sorry man I didn't mean to click thumbs down on you. Hopefully they'll be nice and fix it.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Tells me just how dirty they are. Fired 40 people so 9 people can earn half of what the company pays in employees. Its like a cut and run strategy, they definetly are not in it for the long haul or to "protect" ip holders.[/citation]

Man, every corporation is *that* dirty, not just the RIAA.

It's okay, CEOs are making the sacrifice of getting an absurd salary for you own good. You work harder for it, because one day it might be you too. *facepalm*

See the ridiculous reasoning behind the justification of America's gross income inequity here:

http://positivesharing.com/2006/08/overpaid-executives/

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Whatever. Stealing is about the lowest thing you can do, and thieves deserve to go to jail or be sued and pay damages (seeApple v Samsung). I think the RIAA would do better with saying "you've been caught stealing. You have 30 days to provide proof you bought the stolen material, or you will be sued for damages". I think people would be more willing to do that than the current approach.

Props to the RIAA for defending the artists against low life thieves. Thieves take money from the artists that earned it.

If you like it, BUY IT! Support the artists / developers / etc. who do this for a living. Don't support thieves that steal.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]turbolover22[/nom]It's nice to have a Law Firm Name associated with the RIAA lawsuits. Now we know can at least boycott their practice.[/citation]

I hope Anon does more then that.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
They lost two subscriptions to the old monthly mailers in 2003 in response to their legal escapades, and yes, I usually forgot to send them back so I still have CD's I haven't opened. They were often CD's you were sure just didn't sell, so they had many to get rid of at $18 each.
9 years, probably 16-18 $18 dollar sales per year..

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Whatever. Stealing is about the lowest thing you can do, and thieves deserve to go to jail or be sued and pay damages (seeApple v Samsung). I think the RIAA would do better with saying "you've been caught stealing. You have 30 days to provide proof you bought the stolen material, or you will be sued for damages". I think people would be more willing to do that than the current approach.Props to the RIAA for defending the artists against low life thieves. Thieves take money from the artists that earned it. If you like it, BUY IT! Support the artists / developers / etc. who do this for a living. Don't support thieves that steal.[/citation]

Fgiures the Apple drone would call this stealing.

Here's a clue for you, it's copyright infringement.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
When Napster took off, I expected their servers to be seized and perhaps left running to create logs, then bills to be sent to people for a dollar or two per infringing song before filing lawsuits. Instead they demanded thousands and bypassed several legal processes to try and overload the system. Tactics like photographing children to strongarm people into settlements were reported.

Screw the lawyers. It's not like the artists saw any of the money they managed to extort anyway.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Whatever. Stealing is about the lowest thing you can do, and thieves deserve to go to jail or be sued and pay damages (seeApple v Samsung). I think the RIAA would do better with saying "you've been caught stealing. You have 30 days to provide proof you bought the stolen material, or you will be sued for damages". I think people would be more willing to do that than the current approach.Props to the RIAA for defending the artists against low life thieves. Thieves take money from the artists that earned it. If you like it, BUY IT! Support the artists / developers / etc. who do this for a living. Don't support thieves that steal.[/citation]

i agree, but i also believe stealing isnt the same as pirateing.

you steal from a store, sure, get the book thrown at you
you pirate, a far lesser punishment should be found.

and lets go on with riaa protecting artists.
remember the megaupload song and video, the artists made it themselves with megaupload, and the riaa/music groups took it down, something they dont own.

the riaa and mpaa both dont protect the artist, they protect the interest of the big boys, and the big boys dont want change, they want all the little bands under their thumbs, giving them just enough of a carrot to not give up, and the only time they work for the better of the band, is when they get big enough to get out of the media groups control.

please do yourself a favor and open your eyes and tell me there aren't alternative solutions to these problems.

remember cassets,
remember vhs
remember cds
remember dvds

these people tried to kill cassets because they put them in financial ruin (they really did try to claim this) because of radio recording and mix tapes.

they tried to kill vhs, and if that didnt work they wanted to put coin slots into the vhs so you had to pay to watch anything, and they are quoted as "it is not right that you buy jaws once and watch 1000 times, you should have to pay each time you watch it"

they tried to get a tax on every dvdr and cdr, allong with vhs and cassets because "piracy will kill them"

these people are evil who want to keep technology held back so they never have to evolve

im not defending piracy with this, im just saying they arent good people either and are evil and corrupt to the core.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Supporting artists is one thing, but greedy movie and music companies are other story.
How would you like if you need to buy car 5 times, one to use in your home city, another one if you want to go outside city, another one for highways and another one to be permitted to another state , etc?

Thats exactly what they try to make you, buy each Audio/Video title several times to be able use it in your DVD, play on your PC, your mp3 player etc. When you pay for something you should be able use it any way you want. This and reasonable pricing is only thing that would decrease piracy.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
About time, the lawyers were the only winning party. What the record industry needs imo is better distribution channels where its convenient and easy to purchase / subscribe to music. Without payments to Riaa / Lawyers there is space for price-cuts and that in turn will likely add to the sales. Steam got the idea right of distribution!

dkraptor

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]You cant win the pirates by suing them, you can only win them by cutting the product price u are selling.[/citation]
and increasing the quality...

Status
Not open for further replies.