Just how good is a 6800gt at 1280 x 1024 res?

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
I've ordered a computer with a geforce 7800gt card and a 3500+ venice processor, but I'm not sure if I really need a 7800gt. I was thinking of changing this set up (if I can) to a 6800gt and a 4000+ processor. The type of games I play are turn based and real time strategy games and combat flight simulators and my lcd monitor is 1280 x 1024 resolution. However I do use computer for other things as well (not just playing games!). Would a 6800gt perform nearly as good as a 7800gt at 1280 x 1024 res? I just want to be able to max out all the settings (or nearly all of them) and not have to worry about low fps. I'll be looking to keep the card for between 3-5 years after which I'll be looking to upgrade computer again. Not interested in overclocking!

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I would choose the 7800GT and 3500+ in front of the 6800GT and 4000+. The difference between the CPUs is very little and if you need more CPU power you can OC the 3500+ to 4000+ by changing some things i the BIOS.

I would only pick the 6800GT if I wanted to save money.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
but wouldn't the 7800gt be 'cpu limited' by the slower 3500+ (where the slower processor holds back the faster gpu), whereas the 6800gt would be made to perform to its fullest potential by the faster 4000+ processer?

Also what about the noise levels? I heard the 7800gt is noisy because of the large fan required.

i'm ok with either set up really, just want to be sure I've made the right decision lol.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
but wouldn't the 7800gt be 'cpu limited' by the slower 3500+ (where the slower processor holds back the faster gpu), whereas the 6800gt would be made to perform to its fullest potential by the faster 4000+ processer?

Also what about the noise levels? I heard the 7800gt is noisy because of the large fan required.

i'm ok with either set up really, just want to be sure I've made the right decision lol.

Short answer: No your card will not be CPU limited.

Games will only be CPU limited when you have really high FPS, like 100-300fps. You will probably not play any games with low detail and resolution settings that allow such high FPS. When you enable all eye-candy that your 7800GT is able to show the game will not be CPU-limited, then it will be GPU-limited. So at "gaming-resolutions" there will not be any limitations from the CPU.

I've two images to illustrate this (Swedish site):

First image, two opterons running at different speed (2727MHz and 1800MHz), low graphic settings (a notable difference):
opteron_4.gif

Second image, same two opterons (2727MHz and 1800MHz), high graphic settings(no difference):
opteron_9.gif

GPU is all that matters when it comes to high end gaming. The CPU comes in third hand after RAM.

And about the noise. A 6800GT has a very noisy cooler as well. And a 6800GT emits more heat than a 7800GT and because of that it requires more cooling. If your 7800GT has a noisy cooler you can always buy a silent cooler and change it. Zalman has a good one for about $30.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
ok thanks, will 1gb of ram be enough?

not really bothered about moderate levels of noise because I have a noisy convector fan heater going in room anyway. more noise is also useful for blocking out unwanted noise from noisy neighbours lol.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
According to this test 1GB will be enough (for now):

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/13/how_much_ram_do_you_really_need/

But that will probably change within a year.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Might ask for an extra 1gb stick of ram to be stuck in (bringing total up to 2gb), cost is £75 which I don't think is unreasonable.

How long do you think that 3500+ venice processor will be good for? also what are your views on whether to go single core or dual core. the situation seems to be changing fast with game developers releasing patches to optimise games for dual core processors, although none so far are games that I play.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I think the 3500+ will be good for at least a couple of years. CPU-power isn't that important anymore. But if applications and games starts to support Dualcore there will be a benefit in upgrading. Both AMD and Intel will release new CPUs requiring new sockets next year so todays dualcores will probably drop in price. My personal opinion is to wait before buying a Dualcore.

dudeofdahouse

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
hey bnro i have same card and its awsome , thats best resoultion and it mostly depends on your monitor, if u need help with that PM me and email see ya

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
IMHO, i think that you should stick with the 7800gt. you can overclock the proc if you need to but you can't unlock extra pipes on the 6800gt cause there aren't anymore and overclocking the card wont make as much of a difference as the extra pipes will. in the years to come, a newer video card will be better than another few mhz on the CPU. i have had a xp 2200+ since Dec 2003 and the only i changed in my system was upgrading from a 5700 ultra to a 6800gt and i can still run all of today's games just fine. I recently upgraded my proc and added more ram and the difference isnt nearly as big as the jump i got when i changed video cards...go with the 7800gt

AMD X2 4200+
MSI K8N-Neo2
evga 6800gt
2gb RAM (4x512mb crucial ballistix 2.5-2-2-8 )

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
ok thanks for your help, I'll probably stick with 7800gt now I've ordered it but I think I could of got away with a 6800gt lol. on the other hand, looking ahead 2 or 3 years time, I might be glad that I have a 7800gt. maddox's battle of britain is due for release in 12-18 months time and the system requirements are said to be quite high.

might stick another 1gb of memory in to bring it up to 2gb.

jrnyfan I think we posted simultaneously lol. Just out of interest, what difference (if any) did you notice by having 2gb of ram rather than 1gb. Not just in games but in general day-to-day use.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Just out of interest, what difference (if any) did you notice by having 2gb of ram rather than 1gb. Not just in games but in general day-to-day use.

Your system will go faster when using a lot of RAM. You can have several applications open without getting any impact on performance.

Keep in mind that only games and some heavy applications uses more than 1GB of RAM.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
sometimes I have a game running and msn messenger, java chat sites and other programs/firefox windows open, all at the same time so I suppose I would benefit from having 2gb. at the moment when I do that with my p3-800 with 256mb ram the pc crashes after a while.

CommodoreRed

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
This is a great discussion I was wondering similar thing as david, just saying helped another guru =) Getting a new custom rig, thinking going higher processor and 6800, then realized CPU wouldnt be as much an impact, wanted make sure and wonder how much more noticable 7800 GT was compared to 6800GT or GS.

As for RAM, probably easiest thing on CPU to upgrade, 1gb is perfect for now. I plan getting 2 gigs eventually but save 100 bucks or more for a better mobo. Anyways good luck with choice david

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
yeah thanks, just trying to see ahead 2 or 3+ years to try and predict what the future demand will be. There currently seems to be a lot of progress on the gpu front and I think this time next year even a 7800gt will be considered decidedly mid-range. So I'll probably stick with 7800gt, just not happy with the price I've had to pay for it lol.

Ram seems to be more affordable at the moment, although I've not had a definite response from people as to whether 2gb will make much difference where lots of windows and programs are running. (even by posting a specific enquiry on the correct board lol). However, again trying to see ahead the next 2-3+ years I can only see 2gb of ram being a wise investment.

CommodoreRed

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Oh game wise atm, 2 gb wont be much, I mean, with everything else, 1 gb all need. Wait a year. As for running multiple programs and apps and playing game 2 gb yep if do that, definitely imo notice difference.

And I dont think 7800gt be mid range in a year. Certainly be another better card out, but 7800gt will last a while yet, games dont even use dual core yet thats a year away at least. 7800gt is worth the big bucks, save some on CPU I plan doing so, upgrade CPU in a year or so trhen as get more mulah.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
lol, posting is such a trial sometimes.

to set the record straight: the 7800gt is to the 6800gt what the 6800gt was to the 5950 ultra...leaps and bounds better! choose the 7800gt over a better cpu anyday...unless you are going p3 500 to a 64 4000+ or something. cpu's can always be overclocked, but like i said earlier, you can't unlock extra pixel pipes on cards that dont have them and that is what makes the difference on video cards.

1gb of ram is good, more ram is better lol. more ram will allow you to run more programs at once because of the ability of the cpu to offload the program onto the ram instead of to your swap file which saves time and if it has to load to much to the swap file you will crash eventually. windows xp should be run with 512mb minimum. i honestly cant tell you how much of a difference it makes since im running a dual core proc too but i do know that things load faster (games for example: cs:source, aoe III, bf2 ) and if i have to play server for our lan parties i can do it without slowing things down because i have enough ram to handle it.

CommodoreRed

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Oh 2gigs ram is excellent. And if you OC, never get valueselect! But 1 gig can handle most games fine especially with 7800gt. Now games like BF2 and MMORGs really could use more than 1gb. 1gb suffices but still not as smooth as with 2 gigs. If want high high settings. And run multiple apps. Once I get money to get 2 gigs Im there =)

Also some great tests and site for RAM debate: 1gb ddr2 vs 2gb ddr2

Also look at Popular Reviews, check Memory Bandwith one, and then there's another article on Corsair ValueSelect vs. XMS (or any valueselect vs more expensive pro RAM). Ill say now, VS is perfect if you dont ever plan on OC. If you do heavily, want spend extra for advanced ram otherwise not much difference really, and is a value. I learned a lot this place enjoy! =)

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Oh 2gigs ram is excellent. And if you OC, never get valueselect! But 1 gig can handle most games fine especially with 7800gt. Now games like BF2 and MMORGs really could use more than 1gb. 1gb suffices but still not as smooth as with 2 gigs. If want high high settings. And run multiple apps. Once I get money to get 2 gigs Im there =)

Also some great tests and site for RAM debate: 1gb ddr2 vs 2gb ddr2

Also look at Popular Reviews, check Memory Bandwith one, and then there's another article on Corsair ValueSelect vs. XMS (or any valueselect vs more expensive pro RAM). Ill say now, VS is perfect if you dont ever plan on OC. If you do heavily, want spend extra for advanced ram otherwise not much difference really, and is a value. I learned a lot this place enjoy! =)

With AMD64 you can OC with Value RAM. AMD64 doesn't take a performance hit from running the memory and cpu async.