Bug with Inbox app and POP3 account

September 1, 2004 10:04:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I've got a new (2 day old) iPaq 6315, purchased from CompUSA. Very few
additional apps install, save SPB Pocket Plus and Voice Command.

Today, I went to add a POP3 account to the Inbox app. Works fine, except
when there are messages in the mailbox on the server.

When I do a send and receive (when I know there is mail on the server for
me), it fails, with an error of:

"Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device. Make sure that you
are connected, and that your email account settings are correct. Then, try to
download messages again."

I've tracked this down a bit, since I'm in a fairly unique position to do so (I'm
the Senior UNIX Admin for my ISP). It seems that when the client sends a
"UIDL" command to the POP3 server (to return the list of messages), it dies if
the returned filename is longer than 40 characters, the client sends a "QUIT"
mid-stream, and never downloads the file.

(The above was captured by a tcpdump running on the server, and its output
run through the open-source network analyzer Ethereal. )

If I jump onto the server, rename the mailfiles to something under 40
characters, things are fine. Messages download with no errors.

Now, this is a fairly major problem, and one I've *never* seen with any other
POP3 client. We run Qmail and Postfix on our mailservers, and deliver to
Maildir format mailboxes, which add the fully qualified hostname to the
filename. That is a very common configuration.

Any thoughts? Official word from Microsoft? (Oh, and whats the proper
venue to report this?)

Thanks!

Adam
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 1:23:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Many times this message is caused from the fact that you are connecting to
the "Work" network and have your inbox settings to retrieve the email from
the "The Internet" settings. This is one of the stupid features of
Connection Manager.

Might also come from the fact that in the Proxy definitions of your "Work"
settings you have not set the "This network connects to the Internet" flag.

If you don't have the need to use a VPN, the best way to solve that is to go
to Settings|Connections|Connections|Advanced and set the two options there
to Work. Go back with the X button to save and then back into the advanced
screen and press the second option's Edit button to mark the Internet flag
in the Proxy definitions. Redefine your Inbox and you should be ready to go.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"Adam Lynch" <alynch@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

September 2, 2004 1:23:30 PM

Nope. Its not a network connection issue at all. Like I said, I've sniffed the
traffic at the *server* end, and the POP3 commands from my client get there
fine. The POP3 server in question is actually my customer-facing public
POP3 cluster, as well.

Its an issue of Inbox being broken, and not handling the responses from
the server properly, and wonking out.

Adam

September 2, 2004 4:11:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I'd like to know if you get the same trouble on a MDA2/XDA2 device. I am
trying to troubleshoot mail problems with the h6315 right now and it seems
to be much slower and more problematic performing identical mail
send/receive functions. If you send me mail account information I'll try it
on my MDA/XDA devices if you want. I support several devices and I have
almost no trouble with them but I just got this HP and I can't get it to
send mail properly. I just want to be sure it is or isn't a specific
hardware problem.

[...]

September 2, 2004 6:19:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

If you don't get a reply, let me know and I'll try and follow up this.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

[...]

September 3, 2004 12:15:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I have an identical problem with my 4150 - everything is set to "work"
etc . things work fine when there is no mail ...but when there is I
get the same error message even though I can "see" it logging on
fine.Hope we get an answer to this one because this is the main reason
i bought the 4150.

Ranjit

!