What is more annoying?
a) 8 randomly scattered dead pixels on a 17" LCD
b) 2 horizontal lines on a 19" Apperture Grill CRT

What do you think?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
definitely a.
i know manufactures say "some" dead pixels are just characteristics of lcd's, but i don't think the number is as high as 8. so that's a defect.
where the 2 lines on an ap crt monitor are a functionality of the monitor, no defect there. besides unless you sit there and stare at em, i couldn't see how you would notice them.

[insert philosophical statement here]

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Considering that the probability of all 8 pixels having the same defect (ie, not being able to display blue for instance) is very small, one won't notice them unless they search for them, especially on a 17". I'll take the dead pixels.....I hate horizontal lines...notice them a lot.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You could make an argument that the horizontal stabilizing wires on aperture grill CRT’s prevent the beam from hitting the phosphor, effectively producing dead areas of the CRT. Same or similar to dead spots on an LCD. Not all CRTs suffer from this so you have an option to purchase a slot mask or shadow mask CRT product. LCD’s however you are taking a chance since no manufacturer can guaranty 100% defect free panels.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com