iPaq H2215 turns on intermittently for no apparent reason

September 1, 2004 11:45:41 PM

The subject says most of it. It happens throughout the day and doesn't
seem to have anything to do with midnight housekeeping, events or
alarms. When it turns on there is no message just the normal Today
screen. Additionally, occasionally when I turn it on it will immediately
turn itself off (turning it on again works just fine and it stays on). I
am running version 1.10.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
- Barry
Anonymous

Once-popular theory thought that it was caused by the
IrDA beam-me-while-my-battery-drains-fast being on,
and stray radiation (aka, sunlight) causing it to come
alive, or an already-expired-but-never-hit notification
in the event database trying to get out, but never, ever
succeeding. Who really knows? You could check for the
beam, and the stuck event. Google may help.

BW [Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:45:41 -0700]:
>The subject says most of it

Never rely on it.
--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs

Thanks for the ideas.

After my last hard reset the first thing I did was turn off IrDA (and it
happens at night in a completely darkened room). Any hints on how I can
check for a stuck event (I would rather not turn off all events since I
depend on that to keep me on schedule during the day)?

--
- Barry

hel@40th.com wrote:
> Once-popular theory thought that it was caused by the
> IrDA beam-me-while-my-battery-drains-fast being on,
> and stray radiation (aka, sunlight) causing it to come
> alive, or an already-expired-but-never-hit notification
> in the event database trying to get out, but never, ever
> succeeding. Who really knows? You could check for the
> beam, and the stuck event. Google may help.
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 1:03:05 AM

BW [Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:26:03 -0700]:
> Any hints on how I can > check for a stuck event

I don't know how civilians do it, but I use ce.exe (I think Bev Howard
knows about this?), like so (well, gotta start up an AS session):

h:\>ce -db1
1 1001AED S:0 T:2 "\Program Files\40th\iplaycs\40iplayc.exe" -alarm:7 at 200
2 1001823 S:0 T:2 "repllog.exe" /remote /all /h /p:all at 20040901-230855
3 7001A75 S:0 T:2 "CALNOT.EXE" AppRunAtTime at 20040908-000000
4 20017DB S:0 T:2 "clocknot.exe" AppRunAtTime at 20041031-020000
5 15CF S:0 T:1 "\\.\Notifications\NamedEvents\SSTimeChange" AppRunAfterTi
6 15CC S:0 T:1 "calnot.exe" AppRunAfterTimeChange (TIME_CHANGE event)
7 15CB S:0 T:1 "calnot.exe" AppRunAfterRestore (RESTORE_END event)
8 15C9 S:0 T:1 "clocknot.exe" AppRunAfterRestore (RESTORE_END event)
9 15CA S:0 T:1 "clocknot.exe" AppRunAfterTimeChange (TIME_CHANGE event)
10 15CD S:0 T:1 "connmgr.exe" AppRunAfterTimeChange (TIME_CHANGE event)
11 15CE S:0 T:1 "connmgr.exe" AppRunAtRs232Detect (RS232_DETECTED event)
12 15C8 S:0 T:1 "repllog.exe" AppRunAtRs232Detect (RS232_DETECTED event)

Truncated at 79 columns. An expired but not yet fired event would be
like #2, but with a date/time that had already passed. That causes
big time problems. I don't know if that would cause what you see.
You have a 2200. You know all early-PPC 2003 OS PDAs had a serious
problem in the events database, with an event being triplicated at
each reboot. So, if you pressed the little hole in the back a 100
times since you've last hard reset, you've got 300+ events to track,
which could (I suppose, in theory) cause an event to get passed over,
if for no reason other than it being bogged down. There's an updated
ROM (1.10) which fixes that problem. It only took about nine months
to get fixed.

#1 just fired. It now looks like this:

h:\>ce -db1
1 1001823 S:0 T:2 "repllog.exe" /remote /all /h /p:all at 20040901-230855
2 7001A75 S:0 T:2 "CALNOT.EXE" AppRunAtTime at 20040908-000000
3 20017DB S:0 T:2 "clocknot.exe" AppRunAtTime at 20041031-020000
4 15CF S:0 T:1 "\\.\Notifications\NamedEvents\SSTimeChange" AppRunAfterTi
5 15CC S:0 T:1 "calnot.exe" AppRunAfterTimeChange (TIME_CHANGE event)
6 15CB S:0 T:1 "calnot.exe" AppRunAfterRestore (RESTORE_END event)
7 15C9 S:0 T:1 "clocknot.exe" AppRunAfterRestore (RESTORE_END event)
8 15CA S:0 T:1 "clocknot.exe" AppRunAfterTimeChange (TIME_CHANGE event)
9 15CD S:0 T:1 "connmgr.exe" AppRunAfterTimeChange (TIME_CHANGE event)
10 15CE S:0 T:1 "connmgr.exe" AppRunAtRs232Detect (RS232_DETECTED event)
11 15C8 S:0 T:1 "repllog.exe" AppRunAtRs232Detect (RS232_DETECTED event)

If it didn't fire, I'd be up a creek without a paddle. Actually,
the app that fired the alarm (see top, #1), fixes that for me
automatically.

As for what you can use, hard to say. I know there are things out
there that do things to the event database. Whether that's your root
problem is something no one knows, and probably no one ever will. I
know I've had it happen but not in a long, long, long time. Ghosts
in the machine.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs
mp3, ogg, mp4, m4a, aac, wav, and then some
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 12:30:48 AM

Reply to message from "Barry L. Wallis" <KRQSAOQMNTXB@spammotel.com> (Wed,
01 Sep 2004 22:45:41) about "iPaq H2215 turns on intermittently for no
apparent reason":

BL> The subject says most of it. It happens throughout the day and doesn't
BL> seem to have anything to do with midnight housekeeping, events or
BL> alarms. When it turns on there is no message just the normal Today
BL> screen. Additionally, occasionally when I turn it on it will
BL> immediately turn itself off (turning it on again works just fine and
BL> it stays on). I am running version 1.10.

BL> Any help would be appreciated.

BL> --
BL> - Barry

So I am not the only one this happens to! I hace the _exact_ same problem
and a haro reset (that I had to do for unrelated reasons) did not fix it.

Don

Fri, 03 Sep 2004 20:27:53 -0400

September 8, 2004 2:33:51 AM

>The subject says most of it. It happens throughout the day and doesn't
>seem to have anything to do with midnight housekeeping, events or
>alarms. When it turns on there is no message just the normal Today
>screen. Additionally, occasionally when I turn it on it will immediately
>turn itself off (turning it on again works just fine and it stays on). I
>am running version 1.10.

Do you have any Excel files that are set to autosave? I used to have this
problem too and it went away when I stopped autosaving files that synched with
my PDA
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:33:52 AM

Defly wrote:

>>The subject says most of it. It happens throughout the day and doesn't
>>seem to have anything to do with midnight housekeeping, events or
>>alarms. When it turns on there is no message just the normal Today
>>screen. Additionally, occasionally when I turn it on it will immediately
>>turn itself off (turning it on again works just fine and it stays on). I
>>am running version 1.10.
>

> Do you have any Excel files that are set to autosave? I used to have this
> problem too and it went away when I stopped autosaving files that synched with
> my PDA

I don't think so. I only have one Excel file on my iPaq (car MPG). I
created it on the iPaq and didn't turn on autosave. It definitely turns
on even if I haven't run Excel after a soft reset.

--
- Barry
Anonymous

In article <413E83E9.40204@spammotel.com>, Barry L. Wallis wrote:
> Defly wrote:
>
>>>The subject says most of it. It happens throughout the day and doesn't
>>>seem to have anything to do with midnight housekeeping, events or
>>>alarms. When it turns on there is no message just the normal Today
>>>screen. Additionally, occasionally when I turn it on it will immediately
>>>turn itself off (turning it on again works just fine and it stays on). I
>>>am running version 1.10.

Check your mail settings, I saw this behavior when my settings said to
check mail every X minutes, it would wake the PDA up every so often to
do that check. Fast way to drain the battery...

(Get to these settings by going to Inbox, Accounts, Accounts..., click
on the account you're using, next, next, next, Options, and the first
pane says "Connect and check for messages every XX minute(s)"...Turn
that off. Whenever you sync, your mail will sync as well without this
setting.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:55:45 PM

Chris Knight wrote:

> Check your mail settings, I saw this behavior when my settings said to
> check mail every X minutes, it would wake the PDA up every so often to
> do that check. Fast way to drain the battery...
>
> (Get to these settings by going to Inbox, Accounts, Accounts..., click
> on the account you're using, next, next, next, Options, and the first
> pane says "Connect and check for messages every XX minute(s)"...Turn
> that off. Whenever you sync, your mail will sync as well without this
> setting.)

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't use my iPaq for e-mail. I checked
and don't have any accounts set up so there is nothing I can change.

--
- Barry
!