Is it the MAXTOR DIAMOND 10 giving me problems?

madu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hi guys..

I just built a new systems with a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D and AMD64. The mobo supports SATA 3Gb.
Anyway when I first loaded windows cd, everuything was fine, and then I formatted the whole HDD from the windows cd. It is a 160G. Did not partition. Anyway it formatted fine, and then restarted by itself after format. Then, the windows logo came, the blue indicator is running, and it just hung there. I know its not frozen bcos the blue indicator is moving. I switched on and off many times with same result.
After I switched on again in about 15 mins, then it went to windows installation and started installing. FInished installing normally, restarted, then nothing! When I say nothing, I mean the comp runs the bios stuff and after that nothing!
Anyway I kept the complike that, switched on for about 10 mins, then it went to windows! After being black for a long time.
And also, in the start up screen, it shows my HDD as,
Serial- ATA - Maxtor 6V#$%& LBA,ATA133 !!!
Diamondmax10 can run in ATA133/SATA150,300.
BUt the HDD jumper is set to SATA 3Gb. Anyway I had lot of problems getting started most of the time it going blank and only randomly starting.
Then, I moved the HDD jumper to SATA1.5 mode, WHam! Everything is fine!! Worked smooth!! Still shows ATA133 in the startup screen.
Why is this guys? Is there some problem with MAxtor DiamondMAx 10's?
Firmware problem?
Is there any HDD type that does not have this kinda problem, please do tell me?

Thank you guys!

Cheers!
Madu.

gentrie2001

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
It sounds like you may have a CPU problem. I've had this happen to me once before where windows wouldnt load or there were errors with hardware detection. If you have cup temperature monitoring in your bios, check to see if the processor is overheating. This may be the reason why you have to rest your PC for 10 min before laoding windows--it gives the cpu a chance to cool down. Either you unknowingly have your CPU overclocked or the fan is not prpoerly installed.

madu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
HI GUYS...

Thnkas a lot for the advise.
I'm monitoring my CPU voltage and gives about 32C when idle. I ran Prime95 toture test for about 45 mins and no errors. Everything is fine.
The computer is stable and working fine now. Only problem is I have out SATA1.5 setting in the HDD jumper, and the startup screen showing Serial-ATA Maxtor :LBA, ATA133 !
So the mobo runs it in Ultra ATA mode I guess. Could it be a HDD firmware prob? I tried to locate firmware but no success.
Guys how can I find actuallt which mode the HDD is running from windows?
I have not overclocked anything! Had this problem from even when I started after the build. Its been 2 days so far and no problem like this.
Before I put it to SATA3Gb jumper and connected to SATA port 3, AND IT WORKED! for about a day! and again started to give problems and only start randomly.
It is realy fruestrating and I have decided to keep it like this and get a new HDD. Is it ok if I run like this? I ran the memtest for a 30 mins only, there were no errors. I should run it more and see. Didnt have time.
PLease tell me your suggestiong guys. Thank you very very much.

Cheers!
Madu...

linux_0

Splendid
First off if you have any important data on your hard drive please back it up!!!!

If you have any old hard drives with important data on them please disconnect them from the system and read on.... Thanks!

That is strange... it sounds like the SATA BIOS is either detecting it as an ATA133 drive 8O
or whoever wrote the BIOS made a typo.... I dunno

Well.... maybe you could try booting up in Knoppix and see what info the BIOS is passing to the kernel.

Knoppix is a very power Linux LIVE CD which runs Linux directly from CD or DVD without installing on your system.

You have 2 choices:

The 700MB CD:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

or the 3.1GB DVD:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V4.0DVD-2005-08-16-EN.iso

CAUTION :!: : Please be very careful working as root because root can do just about anything including BREAK things. hdparm also has some dangerous options so please do not try to run anything marked as dangerous in the hdparm manual.

After Knoppix boots up run a Konsole [ K icon -> System tools IIRC or click on the seashell icon ] and type in:

su - # hit the enter key after each command

dmesg |less # hit space for the next page up or down arrow to go up and down q to quit

man command_name # brings up the manual for that command

man -k keyword # searches the manuals for 'keyword'

# you can run: man hdparm # for the hdparm manual

# /dev/sda = first SCSI drive in the system - your first SATA drive should normally be assigned /dev/sda

# in some cases it might become /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde /dev/sdf /dev/sdg /dev/sdh etc

# dmesg will tell you what it was assigned

# FYI:
#
# /dev/hda = 1st PATA IDE drive Primary Master
# /dev/hdb = 2nd PATA IDE drive Primary Slave
# /dev/hdc = 3rd PATA IDE drive Secondary Master
# /dev/hdd = 4th PATA IDE drive Secondary Slave

/sbin/hdparm -v -i /dev/sda | less # -v = verbose = more details -i = information

/sbin/hdparm -v -I /dev/sda | less # that is an uppercase i -I = lots of information

# and see what info hdparm provides

Then if you want you can run a web browser [ firefox, konqueror, etc ] highlight all the info provided by dmesg and hdparm in the konsole / shell window and post it here by hitting your middle mouse button or mouse roller button. In Unix highlighting with the mouse normally automatically copies things [ like right click copy ] the middle mouse button or mouse roller normally pastes things [ like right click paste ].

Good luck.

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
I love linux. I only use the boot cd though. Only had one class on it and we programmed with all the sql stuff.

He's right though, as root, be VERY carefull, it can ruin your drive in a split second, although, most of the time, you have the power to reclaim it as well.

madu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hey Guys...

Thanks a lot!
Actually I have already put aside some space to install Linux(or Gentoo). I have been using Windows and is frustrated about its performance.
But I have only used linux and I installed with the binary version. This time I was going to learn about it and install the source code by compiling. It seems very hard anyway I really like to have run a unix system.
I will try the Knoppix and see.
Yes it strange. It says Seril-ATA and shows it as ATA133.
Thanks a million guys!

Cheers!

linux_0

Splendid
Since you have an AMD64 use the x86_64 Versions!!!!

Linux is awesome and a lot of fun but I wouldn't recommend building from source unless you've done it before.

Try ubuntu, Fedora Core 4 or something like that instead. It's a lot less work you can install in 5-65 minutes from Optical media.

You can find a lot of great distributions here: http://mirrors.kernel.org/

Use the DVD if you can!!! It takes for ever for download but it is a lot less work overall.

Use the x86_64 Versions!!!!

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/4/i386/iso/FC4-i386-DVD.iso

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/4/x86_64/iso/FC4-x86_64-DVD.iso

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/4/i386/iso/
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/4/x86_64/iso/

You do not need the SRPM disks.

tak13

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Hi madu,

I have exactly the same problem you have.

I have a 250GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 with Asus P5ND2-SLI mother board, I have all the issue you have when the HDD jumper set on 3Gb mode (which is factory default position), once I switch to 1.5 mode, everything working fine.

After I spend some time on google, I found a compatibility issues with Maxtor DiamondMax 9/10 and nForce4:

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=articles&go=read&arc_id=59

I updated my motherboard BIOS, still can’t fixed the issue, I running the memtest above, CPU and Ram is ok. Power supply is stable too.

Even I put on 1.5 mode since last night, my system still crash two times, so I think I am going to pay 15% restocking charge and return the HD tomorrow and get Seagate or Western Digital instead..... :(

Cheers!

madu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hey Tak13...

Thanks for the repaly man.. now atleast I know its not my bios! So i guess a firmware upgrade wouldn't do it... well I have a problem with returning it cos I live in Japan and I dont speak the language. Its quite hard to get things done around here without knowing the language. I guess I;ll keep this like as it is and go for a WD or seagate later...
Anyways.. Thakns a lot.. now I can stop worrying about my mobo..

Thanks for the help all you guys...!

Cheers..!

linux_0

Splendid
Well according the article Tak13 is referring to here:

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=articles&go=read&arc_id=59

You can either use a 3rd party SATA controller (15-30 bux online)

Or

Contact Maxtor and request the firmware image for the hard drive so you can upgrade it on the hard drive itself - I am not talking about the system Firmware / BIOS.

Hard Drives have their own firmware and you can do funky things with it if you know how, but sometimes it is hard or impossible to find :-(

It sounds like Plan A is lot easier / more feasible.

Good luck!

madu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Thanks guys...
I will try to write to Maxtor and see...
Lets see hwat they have to say...
Thanks a lot fellows...

zimm

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I am beginning to believe that there are some Sata related Maxtor issues that some of us seem to be experiencing.

I am running a Soyo P4vte motherboard with a Celeron D340 cpu. My MB does not have onboard video and I am running a Sapphire Radeon 9600 pro video card. This MB and video combination was rock solid stable just prior to my replacing the old harddrive (WD 60GB ATA 100) with my new Maxtor 200GB Sata 150 (6L200SO). The reason I replaced the harddrive was so I could use it to build a computer for my sister. I replaced the WesternDigital with the Maxtor and have had nothing but troubles ever since. My problem, I can load windows XP, load software, download software but after approximately half a day to a day my system begins to crash. It always starts with errors when I try to launch a file and than the system inevitably reboots. Once the computer reboots, it comes up with the error "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <Windows Root> system32hal.dll. I have reloaded windows and my files on my computer about 4 times in the last couple of days and each time it eventually crashes. I have tried using SP1a, SP2, windows drivers, MB drivers, etc. etc. Nothing seems to work. Like I said, nothing has changed in my system with the exception of the Harddrive. And with the old Harddrive I never had 1 crash or software corruption. I have the latest firmware version in the harddrive and I can't believe that the problem is anything but this new Maxtor.

jimhammond

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I've been reading this thread with some trepidation. I am building a new system for my son. I bought a barebones system with AMD athlon 63 3500+, 939 on a ASUS A8N-E mobo. I am installing 1gig DDR2 ram, Gigabyte 6600gt PCI video card, NEC 16x dvd rw and the Maxtor 16mb cache, 200gb 6L200SO SATA hard drive. My OS will be Win XP home.
With all these problems I'm reading about with the Maxtor I'm getting a little worried. I haven't built a system for about 5-7 years and things have changed big time.
I'm hoping that the HD doesn't give me any problems. BUT right now my main concern is installing the Maxtor. It didn't come with any cables, software or instructions. The HD doesn't even have jumpers as far as I can tell. Maxtor.com doesn't have anything specific to this HD. I need instructions, etc. that will tell how to install this like I was a 6 year old.
Does anyone have a manual and a copy of the installation software they can let me have?
Thanks, Jim

linux_0

Splendid
The ASUS A8N-E along with all nForce4 boards I am aware of only use 184pin DDR SDRAM.

NOT 240pin DDR2 SDRAM.

Only Intel uses 240pin DDR2 SDRAM right now.

AMD will support 240pin DDR2 SDRAM when Socket AM2 (940pin NOT compatible with existing socket 940) is released in the next 0-60 days +-30days.

184pin DDR SDRAM is more than good enough for todays platforms.

Performance when switching from DDR to DDR2 may actually decrease - it depends.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

linux_0

Splendid
You just need a standard 7pin SATA DATA cable and an SATA POWER cable. If you do not have an SATA POWER cable you may be able to use "the legacy" 4 pin molex connector (+12VDC -12VDC -5VDC +5VDC) if that HDD has one.

Do NOT use both power connectors! You must only use one power connector.

You should have received an SATA data cable with your motherboard. You also likely got an SATA PWR cable with the motherboard as well.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Zimm, the change from an IDE hd to a SATA requires a little bit of work. Besides the obvious physical change, you must DISABLE IDE IN THE BIOS as well. Otherwise, you screw up the HAL in XP.

jimhammond

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Great, so now I have to get more ram. I can't take this ram back (it's a long story).
When I was shopping for the motherboard I asked about the AM2. Places like Fry's and Comp USA denied that it was coming. :tongue:

I still need the stuff for the Maxtor, ie. instalation software, and manual. So, if anyone has this that they would be willing to share I would greatly appreciate it.
Jim

The ASUS A8N-E along with all nForce4 boards I am aware of only use 184pin DDR SDRAM.

NOT 240pin DDR2 SDRAM.

Only Intel uses 240pin DDR2 SDRAM right now.

AMD will support 240pin DDR2 SDRAM when Socket AM2 (940pin NOT compatible with existing socket 940) is released in the next 0-60 days +-30days.

184pin DDR SDRAM is more than good enough for todays platforms.

Performance when switching from DDR to DDR2 may actually decrease - it depends.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

madu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I think you are better off without Maxtor..
There are no jumpers in SATA hdd's, bcos there is no master/slave concept..
And with AMD64, as far as I know, you have to go with DDR 184pin.. I think..
YES.. The maxtor does not give any damn cables.. You shold get a converter to a sata drive power connector.. i got it with my psu..
I havent been having any problems with the maxtor so far, excpet for the initial trouble until i switch to SATA1.5..
Good luck...!

linux_0

Splendid
You do not need any special software for the maxtor to work and you do not really need the manual. You DO however need the SATA driver for your SATA controller on floppy.

You normally have to hit F6 and give winblows the floppy as you are installing for SATA to work correctly as a boot drive.

This is SO retarded. Other operating system including Linux do not have this problem. Why does Bill ALWAYS have to make life so difficult???????

If you want to play with Linux grab one of these and record to CD-R or DVD-R:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V4.0DVD-2005-08-16-EN.iso

No installation is required it just runs completely from CD-R or DVD-R.

Good Luck!

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Actually, since he has a mobo with an nForce 4 chipset, he doesn't need to hit F6 and load drivers.

Jim: Just make sure you have all RAID configs turned off in BIOS and you should be able to just install and plug.

And I don't know about that 'disable ide everything' that PSCowboy said - I could have misunderstood and he meant disabling raid.

Mike.