IP fragmentaion/reassemby

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hi,

I'm using a communication program based on TCP/IP stack (W2k) and I noticed

that IP reassembly doesn't work properly on my laptop (but IP fragmentation

does). The IP frame is not reassembled with the Ethernet data frame of 1460

bytes unless I debug step by step the application. But it works properly in

the other peer (a desktop). All have been tested with a protocol analyzer.

So, I suppose there may be a problem with reassembly timeouts or something

related to this. Can anyone give me some hints? I'll appreciate it.

Angelo Margni

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win32.programmer.networks,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

In article news:42a6f89f_1@news.bluewin.ch, Angelo Margni wrote:
> I'm using a communication program based on TCP/IP stack (W2k) and I
> noticed that IP reassembly doesn't work properly on my laptop (but IP
> fragmentation does). The IP frame is not reassembled with the Ethernet
> data frame of 1460 bytes unless I debug step by step the application.
> But it works properly in the other peer (a desktop). All have been
> tested with a protocol analyzer.
>
> So, I suppose there may be a problem with reassembly timeouts or
> something related to this. Can anyone give me some hints? I'll
> appreciate it.

Are you /really/ talking about IP Fragmentation; I think that you are
actually talking about TCP Segmentation.

Your description seems to fits what people write then thay are not aware
that TCP is a _stream_ protocol, see
http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/intermediate.html#packetscheme, Problem 1
at http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/articles/effective-tcp.html etc.

I've also set the newsgroups to include
microsoft.public.win32.programmer.networks which is the place for
programming questions.
--
Alan J. McFarlane
http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/