HP Laserjet II printer problem

Have a Laserjet Series II printer that had just recently started to print
blank pages. Prints correct number of pages for the type of output
requested. Controls to the printer seem to be ok, senses power off at the
printer, needs paper.

Font test, printer offline, prints a blank page. Self test passes. No
error messages are announced at all.

Any hints??

Don W.
8 answers Last reply
More about laserjet printer problem

    Donald Wilgus wrote:

    > Have a Laserjet Series II printer that had just recently started to print
    > blank pages. Prints correct number of pages for the type of output
    > requested. Controls to the printer seem to be ok, senses power off at the
    > printer, needs paper.
    >
    > Font test, printer offline, prints a blank page. Self test passes. No
    > error messages are announced at all.
    >
    > Any hints??
    >
    > Don W.
    >
    > To test where an image defect is occurring, send a test page through. When the printer feeds the paper wait 20 seconds and open the top cover. If the image is on the page with the defect see if the defect is on the photoconducter, if it is, replace the cartridge and try again. If the defect reoccurs the laser or main logic board could be causing the defect. Also the beam mirror could be dirty. If the defect did not occur you had a bad cartridge, replace it. If the defect did not occur wait longer until the paper comes out of the fuser partly, and see if the error occurs. If it did the fuser is the failing item. Other Image defects are as follows:

    *

    Blank page Defective toner cartridge, bad HV power supply, bad
    engine controller, broken laser shutter, or beam mirror
    *

    Black page bad toner cartridge, bad HV power supply, bad laser
    scanner
    *

    Thin dark vertical lines bad toner cartridge, bad fusing assembly
    *

    Image Skew Paper is loaded wrong, wrong type of paper, bad
    registration assembly
    *

    Faulty registration Wrong paper, bad paper tray, bad registration
    assembly
    *

    Light Print Bad transfer corona, low laser power, bad HV power supply
    *

    Horiz. Black Lines Bad toner cartridge, bad laser scanner

    Keepsake gift for young girls.
    Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
    Builds strong minds 12 ways.
    Guaranteed satisfaction
    - courteous money back
    - keep bonus gifts

    http://www.alicebook.com

    Can anyone recommend a good scanner that has GOOD resolution along with OCR
    for reading documents ??

    Ps. Also, is there a way to ADD more USB ports to a computer??

    Thanks,

    "Donald Wilgus" <dwilgus@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Have a Laserjet Series II printer that had just recently started to print
    > blank pages. Prints correct number of pages for the type of output
    > requested. Controls to the printer seem to be ok, senses power off at
    > the
    > printer, needs paper.
    >
    > Font test, printer offline, prints a blank page. Self test passes. No
    > error messages are announced at all.
    >
    > Any hints??
    >
    > Don W.

    Are you sure there is any toner left in the cartridge? If it is empty,
    you won't get anything printing.

    Did it happen suddenly? Any changes in the printer otherwise?

    The laser might have failed, but I would think that might show up in a
    self test. Is it flashing any codes on the printer LCD?

    When was the last time you replaced the cartridge?

    Art

    Donald Wilgus wrote:

    > Have a Laserjet Series II printer that had just recently started to print
    > blank pages. Prints correct number of pages for the type of output
    > requested. Controls to the printer seem to be ok, senses power off at the
    > printer, needs paper.
    >
    > Font test, printer offline, prints a blank page. Self test passes. No
    > error messages are announced at all.
    >
    > Any hints??
    >
    > Don W.

    > *
    >
    > Blank page Defective toner cartridge, bad HV power supply, bad
    > engine controller, broken laser shutter, or beam mirror
    > *

    This seems to be my choice. Absolutely no image at all, a pure white
    print out. I would assume if the toner cartridge would fail, it would do so
    gradually. But the other items on the list, hi voltage power supply, etc.,
    can they be checked by opening up the printer and putting a meter on it
    easily?
    Any way of getting a handle on the testing of the engine controller (it
    does pass self test), or the laser shutter, or the beam mirror.

    Anyway, any hints as to how to go on from here appreciated. I like the
    printer, rugged as hell. And it has been most reliable until now. Hate to
    deep 6 it for a simple fix.

    Don W

    As I mentioned in my private email to you, check the cartridge to make
    sure it isn't empty. Take it out and open the shade that protects the
    drum, and look at the magnetic roller and see if there is a good coating
    of magnetic toner on it. Sometimes these cartridges run out very suddenly.

    Art

    "Mr. BlairJames H. Mason III" <BlairMason@Earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > Can anyone recommend a good scanner that has GOOD resolution along with
    OCR
    > for reading documents ??

    Resolution is measured in dots per inch and there
    are two values:
    physical i.e. max. density of the CCD or reading component
    logical i.e. greater density achievable via software.

    Documents usually need dpi density of about 200 dpi
    (half the minimum density needed by photos.)

    > Ps. Also, is there a way to ADD more USB ports to a computer??

    Hardware: add a USB hub card with ports.
    Software: an operating system that supports multiple
    ports (e.g. Win98 supports two, Win98SE supports six.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Donald Wilgus wrote:

    > Have a Laserjet Series II printer that had just recently started to print
    > blank pages. Prints correct number of pages for the type of output
    > requested. Controls to the printer seem to be ok, senses power off at the
    > printer, needs paper.
    >
    > Font test, printer offline, prints a blank page. Self test passes. No
    > error messages are announced at all.
    >
    > Any hints??
    >
    > Don W.

    Does the Series II toner cart have electrical contacts? I see in the
    Maint. Manual for the Laserjet 4 series that the 4's cart does, and that
    poor connection should be checked for in certain cases. Just a thought.

    I just realized I made an error in the posting below. The HP II
    cartridges do not allow you to see the magnetic roller from the bottom
    slide, or from any other access hatch.

    I have worked with a number of laser printers and photocopiers and some
    allow one to see the magnetic roller. The HP Laserjet II cartridge does
    not. The only thing that is visible form the slide is the
    photosensitive drum. This drum is sensitive to light and handling, and
    should not be handled.

    Therefore, this method is not going to provide the information I thought
    it would. I would suggest that the cartridge be removed and held flat,
    be gently rocked and shaken to try to redistribute any toner left, and
    then try it again. If it provides a few prints (even light and faded)
    and then stops printing again, that would suggest the cartridge has
    likely run out of toner. I have seen these very suddenly run out of
    toner within one or two prints.

    If one still gets no prints, it still could be out of toner, but it
    could also be another type of failure.

    I apologize for distributing inaccurate information. It was not my intent.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:
    > As I mentioned in my private email to you, check the cartridge to make
    > sure it isn't empty. Take it out and open the shade that protects the
    > drum, and look at the magnetic roller and see if there is a good coating
    > of magnetic toner on it. Sometimes these cartridges run out very suddenly.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Donald Wilgus wrote:
    >
    >>> *
    >>>
    >>> Blank page Defective toner cartridge, bad HV power supply, bad
    >>> engine controller, broken laser shutter, or beam mirror
    >>> *
    >>

    >> This seems to be my choice. Absolutely no image at all, a pure white
    >> print out. I would assume if the toner cartridge would fail, it would
    >> do so
    >> gradually. But the other items on the list, hi voltage power supply,
    >> etc.,
    >> can they be checked by opening up the printer and putting a meter on it
    >> easily?
    >> Any way of getting a handle on the testing of the engine controller (it
    >> does pass self test), or the laser shutter, or the beam mirror.
    >>
    >> Anyway, any hints as to how to go on from here appreciated. I like the
    >> printer, rugged as hell. And it has been most reliable until now.
    >> Hate to
    >> deep 6 it for a simple fix.
    >>
    >> Don W

Printers Hewlett Packard Laserjet Peripherals