Sign in with
Your question

Strange host name resolution failure, please help

Last response: in Windows 7
March 15, 2011 6:33:54 AM

I have been experiencing trouble accessing URLs via any browsers, however, I *can* access web sites directly via IP. A more complete list of fix attempts and diagnostic clues will follow.

I have found a temporary fix for my problem - namely, when I uninstall my NIC drivers, reboot, and allow Windows 7 to reinstall them, host name resolution seems to work, and browsing, software updates, and so on function normally. If I restart without first uninstalling my NIC driver, host name resolution fails again during the new session.

Relevant Computer specifications: Windows 7 Sp1, Comodo firewall, Avira AV, Gigabyte GA-MA790x-UD4P mobo, Phenom II 940

If more detail would be useful for any of the following, please ask.

-------------Fix attempts:

Router Powercycle

Modem Powercycle

connected directly to modem

turned off firewall

made sure proxies weren't running - proxy settings are clear in browser options

updated NIC drivers

cleared hosts file in /system32/drivers/etc

made sure UAC is activated

scanned for virii/malware using avira, malwarebytes, superantispyware, hijackthis, ckscanner

Ran following in command prompt: netsh int ip reset *then* netsh winsock reset *then* ipconfig /flushdns

Fixed registry via Glary Utilities

using Google's free DNS doesn't solve the issue

Have checked for DNS problems with my ISP

-------------Other diagnostics:

nslookup from console seems to work

ping from console does not work

ping from router seems to work

Comodo doesn't show unusual network activity

networkminer doesn't show unusual activity

WINS doesn't seem to work either; can't see other network computers

After a while, and asking for a retry, Steam is able to connect and see online players

Avira fails to update when prompted

Web browsing works proplerly from an Ubuntu 10.10 live CD
March 15, 2011 10:15:15 PM

I did that - it's on the bottom of my list of fix attempts. I've also checked in with my ISP - no DNS issues on their end, and using their DNS is no problem for this computer when I use my temporary fix of uninstalling NIC drivers, restarting, and reinstalling drivers.
m
l
Related resources
a c 246 $ Windows 7
March 15, 2011 11:56:06 PM

dnsfail said:
I did that - it's on the bottom of my list of fix attempts. I've also checked in with my ISP - no DNS issues on their end, and using their DNS is no problem for this computer when I use my temporary fix of uninstalling NIC drivers, restarting, and reinstalling drivers.

Sorry, I missed that when I read through the pile of tries. What browser(s) are you using?
m
l
March 16, 2011 12:09:09 AM

I've tried Firefox, IE, and Chrome.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 16, 2011 12:18:39 AM

Sometimes when you have problems like this the best (easiest) course of action is to simply reinstall the operating system and it will tell you a lot if you still have the problem after the reinstall. However have you tried another network card? Even though you have tried the latest drivers for your card often network drivers for Windows 7 are a bit flaky and a common cause of problems.
m
l
!